Why become a member? ×

Notation aid sheet?

highwayman

I don't understand exactly what you're looking for, but is it not something you can design yourself to suit yourself? Is this to aid standard music reading or chart reading, studying, playing live? It's not something I've used or needed.

It's easy for me to say because I've been studying and reading music for many years and continue to do so, but surely there are some symbols and notations that you remember and use regularly and therefore something tailor-made would be of more use anyway?

I've not studied bass at any college, but I read music. Yet I don't think I quite get what you're looking for.

Hopefully some of the symbols have a logic to their design. What would you like on this sheet?

Just going through what I can think of:

Note time-values? - Hopefully these will quickly become second nature to you.
Time Signatures - most pop, rock etc is 4/4, but the top number is the quantity and the bottom is the value. So 2/4 would be 2x Quarter-notes.
Once you get this stuck into your memory it's there. Do you need it on a sheet?

Time signatures - now here we have one I struggle to remember all of them. But the sheet you need to try to get your head round is the Circle of Fifths

You can print that image.

What else would you like to add?

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1486465175' post='3231974']
If it is for learning, wouldn`t you be learning all the symbols and explanations as you progress?
[/quote]

IMHO the OP would go through a useful learning exercise if he creates his own sheet because finding all these symbols and writing down the meanings would be productive revision.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1486471690' post='3232051']
IMHO the OP would go through a useful learning exercise if he creates his own sheet because finding all these symbols and writing down the meanings would be productive revision.
[/quote]I also agree that doing a sheet yourself is better. I bought a flip chart board with paper. and I can see patterns or which major or minor intervals you are playing differently in scales etc, when it is written down.I would wholly recommend writing it yourself than getting a ready made chart.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...