Why become a member? ×

I just got a squire jag short scale and...

Guest aDx

It sounds like a monster! (to my surprise) big sound from such a little fella!

ok so the build quality is crap, the rear pup is useless ish, and the bridge has the adjust screws sticking out (which hurts my hand sometimes)

have tweaked it tho and it is now playable!

gonna replace bridge sometime anyway (babitz?) and may get bridge and frets done at some point

I use the bridge pickup only turned up slightly (when turned up full it cuts the volume... a lot!) and the main tone turned down a lot

I can get a chris squire rick sound!! if I turn the tone full up

So .. I am surprised!

[quote name='aDx' timestamp='1485683457' post='3225702']
It sounds like a monster! (to my surprise) big sound from such a little fella!

ok so the build quality is crap, the rear pup is useless ish, and the bridge has the adjust screws sticking out (which hurts my hand sometimes)

have tweaked it tho and it is now playable!

gonna replace bridge sometime anyway (babitz?) and may get bridge and frets done at some point

I use the bridge pickup only turned up slightly (when turned up full it cuts the volume... a lot!) and the main tone turned down a lot

I can get a chris squire rick sound!! if I turn the tone full up

So .. I am surprised!
[/quote]

Great news! I'm a big fan of Squiers. Yes, they are built to a price, but they are pretty easy to make into little beauties, play-wise and looks-wise :)

The build quality on mine is pretty good - and there's even some nice flaming in the maple of the neck.

I put a hi-mass bridge on mine as I had a spare one in the bits box.

If the grub screws are sticking up due to the the saddles being low when the action & neck relief is set correctly, shimming the neck will enable you to raise the saddles.

I wanted to upgrade the cheapo pickups, pots & socket, so I dropped in a set of EMG PJX pickups which sound pretty massive although I tend to only use the P for a big chunky tone (with TI JF324 flats).