Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton P Shorty V 3/4 LA Bass

sblueplanet

Im planning on getting a small, lightweight, short scale P style bass with the emphasis being on cheap with the possibility of upgrading the pup at a later date.
Been looking at these two basses. Anyone have experience in using these for rehearsals or even gigs?
Im also wondering if both have the reduced small-sized bodies.
Looking for something to fit in a guitar gigbag.

Edited by sblueplanet

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HB Shorty is ridiculously good for the money. I bought it primarily to see how I got on with short scale. I'd read that the stock pickup was weak, so I bought some Entwistle PBXN's at the same time and BassBunny of this Parish put them in. That means I can only really comment on the HBS with the Entwistle pickups. I find the bass very comfortable to play. The body is a little smaller than the Talman MB-30 I had and the HBS hangs a little more neck-up, even with a shiny strap. It's a bit lighter than the Talman too. The HBS was a bit noisy when I first got it, but the Entwistle pickups, plus aluminium shielding inside the cavities sorted that out nicely. I wire-woolled the back of the neck to get it baby-bum smooth. It certainly does a classic P-thump tone. The Entwistles are pretty hot. With tone pot rolled a little back from full on, I get a full, rich P tone that still has quite a bit of mid-range punch. Not woolly or indistinct at all. Being a P bass, it's a classic "one-trick pony" and you probably won't get it to sound like a jazz or a Stingray. I don't play slap, but I'm pretty sure you'd struggle to get a clanky slap sound out of it. When I bought it, my main bass was a Yamaha BB1024. I took the HBS to band rehearsal (pop covers) and I was amazed when the guys said they preferred the HBS . [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The HBS convinced me that short scale was the way to go to cope with the Arthritis in my neck and arm. I bought the Ibanez Talman MB-30, thinking it would be my main bass, with the HBS as back up. Well, no. The HBS turned out to be a little easier to play, so I sold the Ibanez and bought a Fender Japan FSR Mustang. The Mustang is my main bass, and the HBS is the backup. Very different sounds - the Mustang has a brighter, punchier sound. First bass I've ever had where I've found myself turning the mids [i]down[/i] on the head EQ. The neck of the Mustang is pretty skinny compared to the HBS. The HBS neck is appreciably wider and deeper front-to-back. I'd have absolutely no hesitation gigging the HBS. [/font][/color]

Interesting to see how impressed Andyjr was with the quality as received (i.e. before he modded it) of the HB he's just customised. Basically sound as a pound (before our recent currency collapse that is). Btw I also noted a sequence of incredibly tasty looking HB basses flashing up on my screen when I Googled NAMM 2017 to check out this year's new stuff. Haven't got round to following up on them yet.

I've got a HB Shorty P and it's really really good. I've had it a couple of years and it's the only bass that I've ever had that I've never modded. I haven't even had to adjust the neck or intonation! It still wears the strings that it came with. I daren't change a thing as it plays and sounds so good. The stock pickups are punchy as hell by the way.
Best £70 I've ever spent.

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1485889842' post='3227559']
Is the pickup size the same as other stock P pickups as in no mods needed to get them to fit?
Also, what strings are people putting on their Shorty? I fancied flats for mine if I get one.
[/quote]
Yes, regular size P pickup. Not changed strings yet but if I do I'll be going for a set of TI flats myself.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Update I've replaced the wiring loom with a drop-in pre-wired one with CTS pots, Switchcraft jack socket and some sort of Russian green capacitor thingy; [/font][/color]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Precision-bass-upgrade-loom-CTS-pots-/252745893325?hash=item3ad8d445cd:g:NLQAAOSwmc1XPNzc [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bit of a struggle to squeeze it all into the control cavity - I had to pare away some of the cavity shaping with a craft knife. Worth it in the end to get rid of the unreliable jack plug and the scratchy pots. Also, the barky nature of the Entwistle PBXN's seems to have been smoothed out. Giggable? - Hell, yeah.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bass + Entwistle PBXN's + new wiring loom/pots/jackplug = £107. Extraordinary. [/font][/color]

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1485905578' post='3227696']
Yes, regular size P pickup. Not changed strings yet but if I do I'll be going for a set of TI flats myself.
[/quote]

I think TI flats are 34" or 32", not seen a 30" set. I've got Status Hotwire flats on my shorty , but they sound a bit thumpy, no top end.
I've got some 32" TIs on another bass, I'll check with a tape measure but I suspect E, at least, will have the fat part of the string around the post if you fit 32s.