Why become a member? ×

Hello from Bristol!

Cathode_Follower

Hello Basschatters, Richard (Rich) Allen, 28. Grew up in a musical family, began as a drummer around 15 years ago, and started teaching myself (in a very passive way, just jamming with friends) electric bass about 10 years ago, using the abstract theory that I'd internalised since childhood. I bought a double bass almost four years ago when I started listening to a lot more jazz and having been inspired by some of the newer generation of double bassists taking a fresh approach to the instrument. Having spent 26 years of my life in a backwater town with a music scene best described as dead, a year and a half ago I moved to Bristol (the one in the UK, not the other one!) and completely switched gears, working as little as possible just to make rent, more or less living out of my music studio, shedding, busking and gigging as much as possible. I now dedicate all my musical energy to studying the double bass (the electric is gathering dust in the corner), improving my technique and trying to develop a more solid understanding of music theory. Looking forward to chatting, learning, sharing knowledge, banter etc etc with fellow bassists! You'll probably find me in the double bass forums. Oh, I'm looking for a new instrument to replace my Chinese beater which is beginning to fall apart, which is what prompted me to finally sign up to BC after lurking for years, so any leads do let me know! My other interests are wood and metal, diy, electronics (tubes tubes tubes baby!), tinkering, general engineery type things, you get the idea. Peace! x