Why become a member? ×

Fan problems with Orange Terror Bass 500

BassYerbouti

My Orange Terror Bass 500 has been working fine for over 2 years since Orange replaced something that went pop inside under an extended warranty from Absolute Music.

Today the fan made a loud vibrating propeller type sound when I switched it on and I switched it off , took the cover off and had a good look at the fan before trying again. It was then fine for the next couple of hours playing.

I've got a gig this weekend and am now nervous its going to let me down.

Has anyone had similar experience? does one incident always lead to a failure or can something come and go away? Has anyone replaced their fan and if so is it a DIY job - I am fairly competent. Any info on where to source a fan very appreciated.

regards

Bassyerbouti

The centre of the fan will have details of its voltage and current rating. I would take the makers name and model number , check the specs of the fan then fit the best one of a similar spec and size that you can find> If you post a picture of the fan with the details showing I will investigate for you.

I replaced the fan in mine as he original was very noisy indeed. I can't give you a recommendation as the one I ended up with, whilst silent, doesn't push nearly as much air, so might not be the best choice. Ideally you'd want something in between. I will say you may have to track down a 2-to-3 pin adapter cable though!

• 5 years later...

Dear all,
I've just bought an Orange Terror Bass 500 amp (newer version mk2).
It works well and sounds good. But the fan is not runnig at all (i can see it motionless from the grid).
Is it like this? Does it start just when it is necessary (high temperatures) or there is something wrong with it and need to be repaired? I don't want to overheat it and avoid problems and damages.
Thank you for your help