Why become a member? ×

Help - top straplock screw has come out!

mfisher91

Hi all,

Need some advice..

I purchased a Mayones Comodous 5 last april, but the top (neck end) strap lock screw has come out and the hole has got bigger. I'm not sure what's caused this, but I need it sorted asap.

Anybody know the best solution? I'm wary of using a bigger screw incase I split the wood...

Either use a bigger screw (it's not that easy to split the wood, the screw can't be that big for that to happen, if it was it wouldn't fit the strap pin) or fill the screw hole with a wood dowel glued in, drill in a new hole slightly smaller than the screw and refit the pin.

Split a matchstick into slivers. Put a bit of PVA in the hole if you wish (not essential), push matchstick slivers into hole and snap off flush. As many as required. Refit screw.

Araldite will make a mess for the future.

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1485780786' post='3226581']
All good advice regarding wood and play glue, but matchsticks are soft wood. Cocktail sticks are made of harder wood and will give you a longer term solution.
[/quote]

:) I'd argue that it's because matchsticks are softer and more conforming that they'll do a better job.

Fight?

The classic fix recommended by those who know about these things is: dip end of cocktail stick into wood glue, push tight into hole; leave overnight to set; break/cut off flush with body; re-drill to suit new screw. I've done this a few times but any of the above will also work as it's not super-critical.

Another vote for toothpicks, especially the round ones, marketed as cocktail sticks. I find that cutting them in two and lowering the fat end in to the hole first, with the tapered end towards the top, compliments the helical nature of the screw itself. A little wood glue, or similar, doesn't go amiss either.