Why become a member? ×

how to achieve this tone...

GisserD

Hey guys. ive been searching for a pedal that can nail joe darts tone in this video. check the 3.20 mark for where i can hear it best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dpvyZBKg6Q&list=PL83B4E5CCE0F084B7&index=7

id describe it as a low gain overdrive, but the numerous pedals ive tried cant even come close to what im hearing. its so fat and juicy with just a bit of breakup.

any ideas?

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1485783795' post='3226627']
Sounds like he's either got very old strings or the tone rolled off significantly. He is also digging in quite hard. Other than a bit of break-up I'm not hearing much in the way of effects there...
[/quote]

so your saying you think the breakup could just be the amp?

Try an Orange Terror Bass - it's the closest I've come to nailing Joe's dirtier sounds.

If you're after pedals, the Bearfoot Blueberry or Aguilar Tonehammer are good choices too, but somehow the OTB just nails it and there's a lot of satisfaction to be had from going bass->cable->amp and finding the tone you've been trying to get from pedals for ages!

As mentioned in previous Joe Dart and Vulfpeck chat they use the Vulf compressor (demo's of it are available on you tube) which also adds a really noticeable colour to the overall sound too which would be difficult to reproduce.

Joe's playing is great and he'll often use a mute and dig in quite hard

Edited by krispn

Sometimes it's more convenient to have a particular sound available in a pedal rather than setting up your amp to achieve it. You may not want 'that' sound from your rig the whole time but need it available for a particular song. The drive pedal I use is the Tritonlab one in this clip. It produces all sorts of tones that I really like. People have read up on these (not very well) and been put off by the bit that says it runs at 33v. It does not need a 33v power supply - it's internal wiring steps the voltage up from a standard 9v input. It also has 2 gain stages with different flavours to mix and match. Love mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8aQExhdSj8

From what I know, Joe doesn't use any pedals. His tone (particularly on songs like Dean Town) is VERY compressed. In addition to what everyone has said above about strings and amps etc, a lot of his tone is how he plays the bass in terms of articulation and attack. Most of the 'overdrive' on this is probably just his signal breaking up slightly due to digging in so hard.