Why become a member? ×

New all rounder bass.

AutomaticWriting

So I'm undecided on buying one of the following...
At the moment I'm playing more pop stuff so I need something that will cut through the mix live but also be suitable for most recording applications, I've been borrowing both a 5 string and an late 90's / early 2000's 4 string Musicman Stingray, whilst the action was awful on both of those basses (not my setup), I could tell if set up correctly they'd be a joy to play and they sounded fantastic, they really blew me away. I've only had the chance to play the Flea unplugged a couple of times, one was set up a bit better than the other, but the neck just felt "right" to me straight away. I really don't know what to go for, the flip side is I could buy a sub ray and/or a classic vibe jazz bass... then reinvest the rest into my pedalboard.
So I have four choices basically. I haven't had a chance to play either the classic vibe or the subray but I've seen both in person and they looked well built. Seem to have good reviews online too.
Flea jazz bass
Musicman Stingray
Sub-Ray + Classic Vibe
Sub Ray or Classic Vibe + Pedals.
Any suggestions?

I'm a bit biased on this because I've just got one, but you might want to check out the Fender Deluxe P bass Special.

It's a PJ with passive mode for classic tones and an excellent active preamp which gives you a huge range of tones. It's also got the jazz width neck.

It'll set you back roughly the same as a Flea bass, but for my money is a lot more versatile than a jazz.

If you don't fancy the fender it might be worth checking out other PJs as that combination of pickups really does give you an awesome range of sounds.

I'd pickup either:

- Flea Jazz Bass (fantastic example of a Jazz),

- Musicman Stingray, in any format, e.g. 2EQ, 3EQ, then H, HS or HH. If you like a slimmer neck like a Jazz bass, a Stingray 'Slo Special' might be your thing, or you could get the Stingray's sleeker sister, a Sterling!

I would opt for the more expensive instrument, then build up pedals.

I am in the process of hunting down a second hand MusicMan stingray at the moment purely because I want something with loads of punch for a pop/dance band I play in. I would say it is a good choice and I don't think I have ever seen a MusicMan with the kind of issues I have seen on fenders.

Saying that the Road Worn basses I have seen have all been superb in every way, but I can't comment directly on the Flea (although a careful read through the thread on them would be advisable).

Classic Vibes are great, I am so gutted I had to let my Precision go, I just don't like P basses. It was amazingly well built and worth every penny, to be fair, so are the vintage modified basses I have played as well. I have had a quick go on the subs and thought they were not at the level of the better squiers IMO.

My suggestion.... Get a Stingray ( I have seen them at £700 used) or a Sterling if you like Jazz type necks (again seen one recently at £750) and then hunt around for a nice Classic Vibe Jazz or vintage modified.

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1485851574' post='3227113']
If you like to P/J route, Yamaha BB's are getting a lot of love just now, and they are a bargain at around £250 for a BB415
[/quote]

I am enjoying my BB425 very much at the moment - I bought it as a cheap back-up 5er but it is actually so much better than that. The neck is fabulous if you are happy with tight string spacings, a very comfortable width and depth for me. It can do P bass tones, it can do the burpy P/J tone really nicely, plus it is its own thing mixed in, too. I think it would hold its own with a bass twice the price, and certainly for around £350 new it is unbelievable value.

Just as an afterthought I'll add that I spent a lot of money on a particularly lightweight Musicman Sterling 5 string, spent more on it having lightweight tuners and even more having a Precision pickup put in it. Stands me in around £1600. It is brilliant. Is it £1200 more brilliant than the BB425? No. Had I bought the BB425 first I most likely wouldn't have bought the Sterling.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1485849241' post='3227093']
I'm a bit biased on this because I've just got one, but you might want to check out the Fender Deluxe P bass Special.

It's a PJ with passive mode for classic tones and an excellent active preamp which gives you a huge range of tones. It's also got the jazz width neck.

It'll set you back roughly the same as a Flea bass, but for my money is a lot more versatile than a jazz.

If you don't fancy the fender it might be worth checking out other PJs as that combination of pickups really does give you an awesome range of sounds.
[/quote]

Hear hear!

Great Bass, very versatile.

Cheers for all the suggestions! I'll keep them all in mind. Aesthetically the Flea bass is more up my street than any of the others. I really love the shell pink finish despite not wanting to have the same relic as everyone else (I'd probably change that up a bit).
I do also really like that Fender Deluxe P Bass Special someone suggested.
Hopefully I can make it to Andertons this month to go try out a few as unfortunately not many of the Denmark street shops seem to do finance deals (I'm a poor student haha.)

Played a Flea Jazz Bass in Guitar Guitar Camden today and was blown away by the sound and feel of it, even despite the really high action Fender seems to be shipping these with. Also tried out a Squier Classic Vibe 70's P Bass and was very disappointed compared to the classic vibe guitars I've played and owned before. To be honest, I didn't feel like Guitar Guitar had the greatest choice in the world when it came to basses. Especially not in the MusicMan Range. Still searching... this bass needs to end up being "the one" haha.

Personally, in your position I'd get a HH or HS Stingray, or a good Jazz Bass and add a series / parallel switch (IMO more versatile than a PJ, but it's close and of course very debatable :) )

I own a PJ, a Jazz with the series / parallel switch and a HH Music Man, all are versatile basses especially with different pedals. For that I use a Aguilar Tonehammer for an active boost, a JHS Colour Box for an old school Neve desk type tone and a Sansamp Bass Driver for heavier driven tones.

Enjoy the fun of the search.

Edited by Chiliwailer

A Spector Euro 4 will cut through just about everything, has quite a good range of sounds, great ergonomics and it does not cost a fortune.
edit: i'd choose the Stingray from the list in the OP. But for me Spector works better (used a couple of Stingrays in the past)

Edited by Paulhauser

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1485950422' post='3227907']
They have a flea sig jazz in Guitar Guitar Camden & I think they do credit. There are also 27month+ free interest credit cards out there at the moment which would probably be cheaper.
[/quote]
What are these 27 month interest free cards, please?

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1486284850' post='3230495']

What are these 27 month interest free cards, please?
[/quote]

Mine is post office but that was a few months ago, I think the supermarket banks are offering better now. Have a look on money saving expert. It's your money but always, always pay them off before the interest free period ends & don't get one at all if you don't have a suitable income.

[quote name='AutomaticWriting' timestamp='1486251745' post='3230422']
... Also tried out a Squier Classic Vibe 70's P Bass and was very disappointed compared to the classic vibe guitars I've played and owned before...
[/quote]

I was out a couple of weeks ago trying P basses & tried that exact one too (unless they sold the one I tried & got a new one in) - fair to say it was a disappointment, shame as some of the Squire range is great!

Somewhat foolishly I tried the cream Custom Shop P they've got on the wall at the back - possibly the nicest bass I've ever played, definitely the nicest of the day & I had already played 60's, 70's, current Fenders & a few Squires. Shame it's completely out of my budget :-(