Why become a member? ×

Just pulled the trigger on a Bugera 1960 infinitum

sk8

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1486383763' post='3231239']
Looks like the amp will be able to kick it out in terms of volume then, and probably fairly clean too.
[/quote]

That would appear to be the case. Real world experience will tell

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to burst the bubble a bit here but back in 2012 our guitarist bought 2 off these for our Deep Purple tribute band and both failed in same way. Lost the volume after a lot of weird crackling od noises. They both went within a few weeks of each other while being used in rehearsal studios.
We weren't too impressed with them altho the tone from them was pretty impressive for such a cheap amp. He sent them back, got full refund and then bought himself a 2nd hand Marshall head of some model i can't really remember now.

Hope yours is a lot better. Certainly looks good with the chilli cab and from your feedback sounds good too.
I'm looking forward to updates on it.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1487418239' post='3239635']
Sorry to burst the bubble a bit here but back in 2012 our guitarist bought 2 off these for our Deep Purple tribute band and both failed in same way. Lost the volume after a lot of weird crackling od noises. They both went within a few weeks of each other while being used in rehearsal studios.
We weren't too impressed with them altho the tone from them was pretty impressive for such a cheap amp. He sent them back, got full refund and then bought himself a 2nd hand Marshall head of some model i can't really remember now.

Hope yours is a lot better. Certainly looks good with the chilli cab and from your feedback sounds good too.
I'm looking forward to updates on it.

Dave
[/quote]

At this price point failure is always an issue :lol:

Just over £300 for an all valve amp is insane!

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1487432589' post='3239779']
At this price point failure is always an issue :lol:

Just over £300 for an all valve amp is insane!
[/quote]

It was approx 4 yrs ago and i think they were relatively new on market so maybe just teething troubles and as you say at that price worth a punt.

Dave

had some more time with this head yesterday, albeit at home and not in a band/gig scenario. My main aim was to work out how to get a DI 'out of it'. In the end using an isolator xlr John @ Orchid Electronics made me on the effects loop send with the -10db switch selected provided a nice sound to my little desk. The Orchid classic DI elicited the same results. Although not tapping the output tubes its got enough tube vibe for the minimal times I need to DI. I can always DI off my board pre amp but wanted to tap into the valve loveliness! I also put some effects through it and they sounded mighty nice, mainly dirt and octave.

I also played with the gain, admittedly I didn't get round to trying it in the low input but Channel 2 high gets dirty, very quickly after 5

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1487765294' post='3242533']
Sounds like you found a winner here, fella, nice one. :D
[/quote]

Yeah fingers crossed!

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1487766152' post='3242547']
The good news is that bugeras seem either to fail early, or carry on running... One of my guitards is very happy with his...
[/quote]

If it lasts I might retube it with something decent

Edited by sk8

The good news is that bugeras seem either to fail early, or carry on running... One of my guitards is very happy with his...
[/quote]

This is a standard feature of almost all products, and is refereed to ad the bathtub curve. i.e. there are a relatively high number of failures early which quickly falls off (The tap end of the bath) then there is a period of reltively few failures (the bottom of the bath), and then there is a gradually increasing number of failures as the things start to wear out (The back of the bath).

A good bit of kit will have fewer failures at each stage of the curve, but will generally follow the same pattern.

Okay so some more time with this amp today at home.

Interesting observation (at least for me!). It would appear when using the master volume on the back the amp overdrives easier. Bypassing it and just using the gain on one has a much cleaner sound for the same input.

Practice Sunday so will get a better idea of this new found info.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[/quote]

That's encouraging. Picked up a mint used Veyron head as a backup recently. As it's passed the early failure stage, hopefully will last. Sounds surprisingly good for something so cheap and has plenty of power. EQ is a touch basic, but the onboard pre on my bass sorts that out. Fingers crossed.