Why become a member? ×

Just pulled the trigger on a Bugera 1960 infinitum

sk8

I'd be interested to hear how well it holds together at volume.
I do like a bit of tube warmth but only really a little bit of hair.
Obviously as a guitar amp this will be designed to break up into full distortion when driven but would 150W give enough headroom to keep things at least fairly clean sounding at gig volume if needed or would we be talking full on Lemmy levels of distortion at bedroom levels?

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1485890718' post='3227568']
I'd be interested to hear how well it holds together at volume.
I do like a bit of tube warmth but only really a little bit of hair.
Obviously as a guitar amp this will be designed to break up into full distortion when driven but would 150W give enough headroom to keep things at least fairly clean sounding at gig volume if needed or would we be talking full on Lemmy levels of distortion at bedroom levels?
[/quote]

Reading up it would appear the auto biasing feature runs the tubes a bit cooler, giving more clean headroom in theory.....

Edited by sk8

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]When I used mine with an Ashdown 2x12 I had plenty of clean headroom and with the master volume thingy on the back was able to run it pretty clean. [/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"]I did upgrade the EL34’s to JJ E34L’s which supposedly help out a big headroom wise[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1485890718' post='3227568']
[/quote]

Given that it has no Master Volume it's supposed to stay clean up to really high volumes, since the volume knobs control the gain stage, while the power section permanently runs full throttle.

Edti:
Wait, it does have Master Volume. But that can be switched off, which is good!

Edited by Tweedledum

[quote name='Tweedledum' timestamp='1485937300' post='3227768']

Given that it has no Master Volume it's supposed to stay clean up to really high volumes, since the volume knobs control the gain stage, while the power section permanently runs full throttle.

Edti:
Wait, it does have Master Volume. But that can be switched off, which is good!
[/quote]

Oh dear I was afraid of that. I've been Gas free for a while now but that's not helping.
The EQ had better turn out to be poorly voiced for bass or Mrs Painy is gonna be getting upset with me

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1485947555' post='3227874']

Oh dear I was afraid of that. I've been Gas free for a while now but that's not helping.
The EQ had better turn out to be poorly voiced for bass or Mrs Painy is gonna be getting upset with me
[/quote]

Can put an EQ pedal up front or in the loop........

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1485947555' post='3227874']
[/quote]

Or easily have it revoiced. It's only a few component changes.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1485958213' post='3228009'] Aside from the tweaks, I think this is basically a Marshall Super Lead. I get the impression that the 150 watts is the marketing department deciding to use a slightly different scale to the usual measurements. Sure, an EQ in the loop will make it a bit more flexible, but I'd suggest that if you'd be happy using a Super Lead or Super Bass then this amp will be just the ticket- if you are after anything other than that, today's market is a big place and there are much more effective amps for basically any function beyond that roaring ol' school Marshall tone. General consensus is that the simple 100 watter is loud as hell though, if not clean or particularly deep in the low end. [/quote]

I happily role of 80hz and below so I'm thinking I'm not going to be too bothered.

Definitely more effective amps but not at this price point I don't believe; well not new!

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1485862174' post='3227219']
[url="http://m.music-group.com/Categories/Bugera/Guitar/Guitar-Head-Amplifiers/1960-INFINIUM/p/P0AAJ"]http://m.music-group...NFINIUM/p/P0AAJ[/url]

Think Lemmy!

Hell, I've bought pedals more expensive!

Let's see how it works out for bass
[/quote]

How much did you pay, they seem to be around the £350 mark..?

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1485993050' post='3228446'] I've fancied one of these for a while now. I believe Bugera themselves said that it could be used as a bass amp also. [/quote]

Yeah someone on a TB thread emailed them and they said can't say but think Lemmy and you'd be in the ball park!

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1485969151' post='3228144'] You got rid of an AD200 for this?! [/quote]

Nope. The AD200b went a while ago but I miss the valve sound but can't justify the expense of another. This appears to be a good compromise.