Why become a member? ×

Recommended 5 String P replacement pickup

Deedee

Can anyone recommend a replacement pickup for a Squier VM 5 string P? I believe Ben64 of this parish was also enquiring.

I've previously fitted Custom Shop '62 pickups in my 4 string precisions so that's the kind of sound I'm after. It's not that the Squier pickups sound bad, just that they don't sound as good as my 4.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I've already fitted a rather lovely Kiogon wiring loom with CTS pots etc

Edited by Deedee

I had an Aguilar AG5P60 fitted to my Musicman Sterling 5er by Andyjr1515 and it is absolutely lovely. A really dark, warm, organic vintage tone to it with a bit of a growl. I am not sure it would be a direct fit into a Precision body, though, as the two halves of the pickup are equal sizes.

If you don't want to make drastic changes and want to keep the split coil pup I'd recommend Bill Lawrence P46s.

I found out about these when I bought a Fender MIM P bass. Quite frankly it's the best sounding P bass I've had. I wouldn't go back to Fender pups after this.

[url="http://www.wildepickups.com/Bass_Pickups.html"]http://www.wildepick...ss_Pickups.html[/url]

or you might be able to pick some up here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/295940-bill-lawrence-p46-precision-pickup/page__p__3203653__hl__lawrence__fromsearch__1#entry3203653"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry3203653[/url]

If you don't buy it I might buy it to have it as a spare.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1485873935' post='3227394']
Not sure they are 5 string pups, though?
[/quote]

To quote the web site:
[quote]
[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]The P-46 humbucker offers Bill's multi-pole piece system which can accomodate either 4, 5 or 6 string Precision Bass instruments. It is standard with four conductor wires for multi-sound wiring options and comes with mounting screws.[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1485876209' post='3227413']
I rate the pick up in that bass along side the Aguilar, Fender and Xotic pick ups in the other basses that I own, buying the Squire with a view to changing the PU - I haven't needed to.

We're all different though, I'd be interested in how you get on.
[/quote]
If you're playing in a band situation you're probably dead on the money. I play on my own, so I listen intently to my own sound, so I become a fussy bu$$er.

I have two of the first Squier P5s which had Jazz pups. I got a friend to rout the body on one to give me an open cavity under the scratchplate to play with placement of a split coil pup replacement (I would need to replace the scratchplate anyway).

I bought a set of EMG P6s from a Shuker bass which one of the regulars from this parish had taken out. I messed around for years and couldn't get the B String right - no matter where I put the pickup, the B string would have no attack as though it was coming out of the field when plucked upwards. Only last month, I decided to take a gamble and bought a new set of P6s. Lo and behold, the B string is great now. I noted that only the ADG coil is labelled on the set, so wondered if perhaps Jon had mixed and matched when making his bass to put a P4 or P5 unit for the B and E strings. According to the manual, all are the same casing size, but internally have blade pickups of different lengths depending on the model. EDIT: Either that, or the pickup was knackered!

My only issue now is the G string is a little quiet on the new set, so probably need to move the ADG coil out a bit.

I do like the sound though - but I'm not keen on them being active only, and I imagine placement would have been much easier with visible pole pieces. I am gigging with it a bit now though!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]ANOTHER EDIT: I thought I'd better mention that as mine was not a take out/drop in job, it might be worth checking casing sizes before you buy - I'm not sure the EMGs are the same footprint/scratchplate hole size as others[/size][/font][/color]

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1485876209' post='3227413']
I rate the pick up in that bass along side the Aguilar, Fender and Xotic pick ups in the other basses that I own, buying the Squire with a view to changing the PU - I haven't needed to.

We're all different though, I'd be interested in how you get on.
[/quote]

You may well be right. As I said, it certainly doesn't sound bad in fact I was pleasantly surprised. I was just curious if other people had experience of replacement pickups that they really raved about.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]As a suggestion you could look at the Nordstrand NP5 or NP5F. I fitted these to my VM5, they are a direct replacement and they worked out quite well but whether there is £100+ worth of improvement is subjective. I guess it comes down to what sound you are after. Personally I think you can achieve a lot more, for less money in getting the right sort of stings fitted on the bass to suit the particular sound you are after.[/font][/color]

[quote name='whizzzy' timestamp='1485957610' post='3228002']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]As a suggestion you could look at the Nordstrand NP5 or NP5F. I fitted these to my VM5, they are a direct replacement and they worked out quite well but whether there is £100+ worth of improvement is subjective. I guess it comes down to what sound you are after. Personally I think you can achieve a lot more, for less money in getting the right sort of stings fitted on the bass to suit the particular sound you are after.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

The strings! A very good point that I'd foolishly not considered. I currently use Fender 7250M strings, purely because I like them (or MLs) on my 4 strings. However, these clearly may not be the best strings to give a good B on the Squier.

Any tips on a good brand for a clear and bright B ??

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1486073935' post='3229119']
If you like the treble end of the range, have you considered going EADGC?
[/quote]

It's definitely the low B I'm after, but with just a little more clarity/defined tone.