Why become a member? ×

D'Addario Half Wounds - any users?

Bass Culture

Ladies and Gents, I've got a medium scale Zoot Custom fretless arriving in a few weeks time and thought about speccing these as they do a medium scale set in my preferred gauge (45-100) but have no personal experience of them. Any users out there who can offer any insight as to what I can expect? On my fretted I've been using the D'Addario Pro Steels and have been really impressed.
Thanks,
BC

Not sure if my comparison of the Half-rounds with the Chromes can be of any use to you, as a Pro Steels fan, but here it is anyway:

[url="https://www.facebook.com/notes/silvia-bluejay/bluejay-plays-daddario-enr71sl-half-rounds-for-the-first-time/10153681854922418"]Review/Note on Bluejay's Facebook Profile[/url]

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1485889023' post='3227550']
I prefer SIT Silencers to be honest. Or GHS Pressurewounds. Those D'Addarios were better when they did them in steel over nickel plated.
[/quote]

Contacted GHS, who tell me that neither the Long nor Short scale sets would be suitable for a medium scale length bass. :( They recommended Bass Boomers instead which, being roundwounds, sort of misses the point really...

I have Status Half Rounds on my Duesenberg, these are available in medium scale (although the D is a short scale bass it has a tailpiece and needs the extra length.

Or at least they were - I think Status may be having problems with supply so probably best to give them a ring.

I use them on my 35" scale fretless, I love flatwound chromes on my p bass but thought they were too dull on my fretless, so it sat unplayed for a year after i bought it. I saw the half rounds and though I will give them a bash. I love them much brighter sound they feel nice and slinky. I would definitely recommend trying them!

I have these exact strings on my EB1 which is a medium scale bass.

Lovely rounded mellow tone and they have a nice even tension (not too floppy)

They felt a little grippier than i had expected but i soon got used to it and i'm really pleased i tried them.