Why become a member? ×

CTS Push Pull Pot for Series Parallel - HELP!

Chiliwailer

Hi all,

I'm stumped. I bought a CTS 250k push pull pot for my Jazz Bass. It's different to the old school ones I usually use and I can't find a decent diagram to wire it for series / parallel. The diagram that came with it seems to be for a humbucker being put into series / parallel, and it isn't clear where the wires from the other pots go...

It's a 2015 USA Std Jazz Bass, so black and white wires with regular VVT

The pot:

[URL=http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/chiliwailer/media/Cts/IMG_2116_zpser7xqgac.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah227/chiliwailer/Cts/IMG_2116_zpser7xqgac.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The diagram it came with:

[URL=http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/chiliwailer/media/Cts/IMG_2114_zpsu8mcdqg0.png.html][IMG]http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah227/chiliwailer/Cts/IMG_2114_zpsu8mcdqg0.png[/IMG][/URL]

I recently used the diagram BELOW to fix a series / parallel toggle switch to my Lull PJ4, and it worked great. I was wondering about copying it, but the terminal codes wouldn't match up to the first diagram pic I posted. (I.e. Terminals 1&3 are linked on the old school one but it's C1&3 on the CTS). I could take a guess and 'translate' where they go, (so put 1&3 to C1&3) but if I get it the wrong way around (2&4 to C1&3 as the diagram below has no codes) then push might be Series and up Parallel, not what I want. Or it may not work at all????? Am I missing something here? I'm happy to do this but understanding electrics is not a strong point.

[URL=http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/chiliwailer/media/Cts/IMG_2113_zps38cuw4uc.jpeg.html][IMG]http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah227/chiliwailer/Cts/IMG_2113_zps38cuw4uc.jpeg[/IMG][/URL]

Any ideas guys? I'm hoping not to waste time by using trial and error on this one.

Cheers :)

Edited by Chiliwailer

Get your multi-meter out and check the contacts to be sure, but I would suspect that C1 toggles between contact 1 & 2 and C2 between 3 & 4. Then it's just a case of following the diagram. If it's the wrong way around for what you want then simply swap the wires going to contacts 1 & 2 and likewise 3 & 4.

Just replicate your DPDT wiring using the corresponding CTS terminals as in the pic below. This should do the job, (with 'up' for series)

.[URL=http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/iankay/media/Stuff/CTS%20DPDT.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i370/iankay/Stuff/CTS%20DPDT.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1485937979' post='3227773']
Get your multi-meter out and check the contacts to be sure, but I would suspect that C1 toggles between contact 1 & 2 and C2 between 3 & 4. Then it's just a case of following the diagram. If it's the wrong way around for what you want then simply swap the wires going to contacts 1 & 2 and likewise 3 & 4.
[/quote]

Thanks for the post, I don't have a multi-meter though and would also need a crash course! :blush:

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1485938320' post='3227775']
Just replicate your DPDT wiring using the corresponding CTS terminals as in the pic below. This should do the job, (with 'up' for series)

.[url="http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/iankay/media/Stuff/CTS%20DPDT.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Cheers Ian, I was thinking along those lines as a 'give it a go' approach tonight. I guess you made that diagram yourself? Hats off and big thanks pal :hi:

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1485958034' post='3228006']
Thanks for the post, I don't have a multi-meter though and would also need a crash course! :blush:
[/quote]

If you are going to be doing your own wiring then a multi-meter or at the very least a continuity tester is an essential piece of kit. That way you can quickly check what the contacts on an unfamiliar switch actually do and then use that to work out what wire needs to go where.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1485963181' post='3228067']

If you are going to be doing your own wiring then a multi-meter or at the very least a continuity tester is an essential piece of kit. That way you can quickly check what the contacts on an unfamiliar switch actually do and then use that to work out what wire needs to go where.
[/quote]

I wouldn't argue with that for more advanced stuff. Though over the last twenty years I've managed to change pickups, pots and caps and all other switches with a diagram and absolutely no issue. It's just this one particular bloody switch, lacking diagram, that's got me stuck!!!

If I bought a MM it'd gather dust!

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1485961085' post='3228041']
Ha, I only just realised the OP is you Dan - hope all is well! And yes I'm still enjoying my lovely old '57 :)
[/quote]

Yup, all good here buddy. Great to hear the 57 is still getting the love it deserves.
Hope all is well with you too :)

I've given up on this one.

Ian - your diagram did seem to be correct mate.

But, I'm an amature and hobbiest when it comes to soldering and the terminals were very fiddly for me. I got it together but the connections weren't great and it was bloody hard for me to get it in the cavity in tact. First time I've ever given up :(

I've ordered a new Fender one, which is fine as I've fitted more of those than I can remember with no hassles at all. They are straight forward and far from fiddly.

I also need to order a new soldering iron tip. Even with a new one I doubt I could have done a fiddly job like this well, but it really did show up that mine is in need of a change. My Jazz Bass will be out of action until further notice ;)

So.... hobbiests like me...avoid this switch and get the old school one!!!

Thanks for you help anyway fella's.

Edited by Chiliwailer

I can entirely see what you mean about those terminals being a bit fiddly Dan. I almost got one of these a few months ago but was put off by the weird configuration and went for a regular one instead. Much easier and it also makes sense when you look at it which helps - unlike this one!

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1485980459' post='3228268']
I can entirely see what you mean about those terminals being a bit fiddly Dan. I almost got one of these a few months ago but was put off by the weird configuration and went for a regular one instead. Much easier and it also makes sense when you look at it which helps - unlike this one!
[/quote]

Smart move, the terminals look even smaller in the flesh too so I really should have known better! Shame, as I like CTS pots but I'll be pleased when the Fender one is in.

May this be a warning to the rest of you ;)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1486042674' post='3228720']
Can you not choose to solder to either the top or bottom set of contacts? Or a mixture of both? That might make it a bit easier.
[/quote]

I'm fairly sure you're correct there, it crossed my mind too. However in all honesty, I just couldn't trust my soldering throughout on the other little ones, and it was a pain all the way. I'd prefer to stick to the easy switch I already know...but.... when my new soldering iron tip arrives I might just give it one last attempt....

I do this kind of soldering at work (and much smaller!) and always use a microscope. I would recommend magnifying spectacles at least for doing fine work as it gives you confidence that you are doing a neat, clean job, even if you can actually do the job without magnification.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1486120837' post='3229369']
I do this kind of soldering at work (and much smaller!) and always use a microscope. I would recommend magnifying spectacles at least for doing fine work as it gives you confidence that you are doing a neat, clean job, even if you can actually do the job without magnification.
[/quote]

Good advice, so mines going in the bin then! And cheers for the soldering confidence reboot ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Dude that's not a difficult one (well for me that is), you have two choices:

- You'll need another pot so you can keep the bass VVT, this means each pot could be used as series/parallel separately.
- Second choice is to add a balance pot, this means you'll need to connect the pots to the balance pot and they connect to the volume pot.

In both cases you'll need to solder the volume pot using the diagram called "Series/Parallel"

Edited by Mcgiver69