Why become a member? ×

Custom Fit Earplugs

stingrayfan

As I have said in the sticky (this is so important I am prepared to repeat myself), I found the ER20's most uncomfortable. I am sure I am not alone.

The ER moulded plugs can be fitted for IEM.

Not sure why the Burpster is talking bollocks? The ER9/15/25 are the same price! There are some cheaper plugs that dont appear to be actually designed for music that are cheaper. If they are not as good as the ER's then they are not better value for money. Who wants sleeping plugs?

[quote name='woodster' post='310988' date='Oct 21 2008, 08:27 AM']Is licking them not enough....? :)[/quote]

It was a fair question.. I've seen one chap drop his on the floor of a toilet, wipe them on his trousers and put them back in. You wouldn't stick a dirty spoon in your mouth, so why stick filthy plugs in your ears?

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='311020' date='Oct 21 2008, 09:03 AM']As I have said in the sticky (this is so important I am prepared to repeat myself), I found the ER20's most uncomfortable. I am sure I am not alone.[/quote]

I found the ER20's a little tight, as I have smaller ear canals than 'the average'

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='311020' date='Oct 21 2008, 09:03 AM']Not sure why the Burpster is talking bollocks?[/quote]

Thats a bit harsh!

[quote name='The Burpster' post='310965' date='Oct 21 2008, 06:24 AM']Your kit seems a bit expensive..... try this company..... VERY very good.... (I have a couple of different pairs!)

[url="http://www.ultimateear.com/"]http://www.ultimateear.com/[/url][/quote]

plugs or IEMs? which ones?

[quote name='dood' post='311054' date='Oct 21 2008, 09:34 AM']It was a fair question.. I've seen one chap drop his on the floor of a toilet, wipe them on his trousers and put them back in. You wouldn't stick a dirty spoon in your mouth, so why stick filthy plugs in your ears?[/quote]

You're right, I was just kidding...

I always cleaned them before AND after use so when the itching started I even resorted to a brand new, fresh pair but it was still getting some irritation. It would come on pretty quick and I thought it might be some kind of reaction BUT it was only in one ear.

I'd been using ER20's for over 2 years with no problems so i wonder if the makers changed the material in some way....?

[quote name='alexclaber' post='310531' date='Oct 20 2008, 03:49 PM']If you work with any drummers then you are endangering your ears if you do not wear earplugs. Even with brushes the peak SPL from a snare is easily enough to cause damage.[/quote]
My erstwhile drummer found it was the cymbals that were doing the real damage to his ears... all those big HF spikes, and right at ear level too.

[quote name='dood' post='310984' date='Oct 21 2008, 08:21 AM']Without sounding like your mum, are you cleaning them properly and regularly?[/quote]

Fair enough question, yep, they're cleaned before and after....I don't lick 'em :huh: Maybe the life span, 6 months they say so it may be time for a new pair, I can't remember when I bought them though :)

I suppose it's just as well to get some custom fits.

Having read this thread, I wandered down to Specsavers this afternoon and sneaked an instant appointment whilst the audiologist was waiting for a late customer. The result is I've had moulds taken and a pair of clear ER15s ordered. £160 on delivery in a month.

I don't need any help to keep me broke, but Basschat finds me new ways all the time!

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='311020' date='Oct 21 2008, 09:03 AM']Not sure why the Burpster is talking bollocks?[/quote]

Please define how economics is bollocks?

£122 as opposed to £55 + £2 P+P for essentialy the same thing....?

[color="#800080"][i]"uep 88 £55.00 + £2.00 p&p
Our 'Bio blocker full shell', features unique ULTIMATE in ear technology, so the plug is shaped within the confines of the ear. Additionally the UEP 88 is easy to keep clean providing years of use. We are so confident in our product it comes with a two year guarantee."
[/i][/color]

Let other folks make their own minds up and stop preaching, its boring.

For those that are interested and dont think I'm talikng bollox, I have a set of U.E. IEMs which I use for my bike, they are excellent for that application and would use them on stage but the bass response is weak due to the teeny speaker. when playing live I dont play at volumes that make ears ring so I dont have an issue. The IEMs that U.E produce are very comfortable when worn for very long periods (10+hrs) and mine have done lots of miles in the last 4 years and still sound fresh.

I also use U.E blockers for shooting and and have an attenuated pair for big rifles. I have no business interest in U.E. but have had other brands in the past. U.E.s service and knowledge have been the best I have dealt yet. They are also by far the most comfortable ones I have had.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='311648' date='Oct 21 2008, 10:32 PM']Please define how economics is bollocks?

£122 as opposed to £55 + £2 P+P for essentialy the same thing....?

[color="#800080"][i]"uep 88 £55.00 + £2.00 p&p
Our 'Bio blocker full shell', features unique ULTIMATE in ear technology, so the plug is shaped within the confines of the ear. Additionally the UEP 88 is easy to keep clean providing years of use. We are so confident in our product it comes with a two year guarantee."
[/i][/color]

Let other folks make their own minds up and stop preaching, its boring.

For those that are interested and dont think I'm talikng bollox, I have a set of U.E. IEMs which I use for my bike, they are excellent for that application and would use them on stage but the bass response is weak due to the teeny speaker. when playing live I dont play at volumes that make ears ring so I dont have an issue. The IEMs that U.E produce are very comfortable when worn for very long periods (10+hrs) and mine have done lots of miles in the last 4 years and still sound fresh.

I also use U.E blockers for shooting and and have an attenuated pair for big rifles. I have no business interest in U.E. but have had other brands in the past. U.E.s service and knowledge have been the best I have dealt yet. They are also by far the most comfortable ones I have had.[/quote]
[color="#800080"][i]"uep 83 £165.00 + £5.00 p&p

The ER is the plug for musicians. It's unique filters offer flat response attenuation, which basically means they follow the natural frequency response of the ear, but attenuated at either 9, 15 or 25 decibels. Interchangeable filters all in a custom plug, for extra comfort and seal ability."[/i][/color]

Thats five pounds more than I paid for mine. OK they do sell other plugs for less but are they essentially the same thing? Who makes that call? And I would not use motorcycle or shooting plugs on stage - they are not designed for it.

I dont mean to be picky and I have already upset Burpster, BUT you guys keep coming up with cheaper alternatives to the ER's that are frankly crap. Look at the attenuation published on their website:

CE Mark attenuation data (sorry cant get it to format properly.

Freq. (Hz) 63 125 250 500 1k 2k 4k 8k
Mean attenuation 13.9 16.1 19 22.7 25 32.2 41.1 36.9

Thats not exactly flat! Great if all you want to hear is bass mind!

Edited by bass_ferret

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='312389' date='Oct 22 2008, 07:04 PM']I dont mean to be picky and I have already upset Burpster, BUT you guys keep coming up with cheaper alternatives to the ER's that are frankly crap. Look at the attenuation published on their website:

Thats not exactly flat! Great if all you want to hear is bass mind![/quote]

Picky is good.

But I reckon that's probably not too different from any other plug. Low frequencies are always harder to stop.

Also: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher-Munson_curves"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher-Munson_curves[/url]

[quote name='Clarky' post='309811' date='Oct 19 2008, 01:42 PM']After a very loud gig last night (punk evening) my ears are ringing and I have decided to order some to prevent further damage. I will put up a review when they arrive, once I have had a band rehearsal (guess in about 2-3 weeks time)

PS, £99 excludes VAT and p&P, so all-in cost £122. Still seems tiny versus the cost of real hearing damage and given how much we all spend on gear[/quote]
Hmmm, ordered the Proguards on Sunday, they phoned today to offer me a fitting appointment at the end of November or December. Not too impressed by that, Told them so and they said they'd see what they could do and would call me back. I'm still waiting :)

Edited by Clarky

Sorry if I come across as a grumpy old man but I am a grumpy old man and this subject makes me even more grumpy. The reason I am so grumpy is cos I cant remember the last time I had a good nights sleep. And I cant get a good nights sleep cos of the f***ing ringing in my f***ing ears.

Like a lot of us, I have ended up with ER25's. The difference between the moulded plugs and foam plugs or ER20's is night and day. The ER's are designed for musicians but I will be the first to admit that £165 is a lot of dosh, so the prospect of getting something as good for a lot less is very tempting.

But i've not seen anyone say I have tried ER's and brand X and brand X are as good for half the price. What I have seen is I use these shooting plugs and they are great! So you pony up your £80 and all you can hear is bass. Great. So now your ER25's will cost you £245, or you wont bother and f*** your ears.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='312389' date='Oct 22 2008, 07:04 PM']I dont mean to be picky and I have already upset Burpster, BUT you guys keep coming up with cheaper alternatives to the ER's that are frankly crap. Look at the attenuation published on their website:

Just for reference, the Er15 data is as follows....

Freq (Hz) 125 250 500 1K 2K 4K 8K
Att (db) 17.5 17.6 18.0 16.3 17.3 15.8 20.8

This equates to an almost flat graph and a much more 'natural' sound.

Edited by woodster

[quote name='woodster' post='312836' date='Oct 23 2008, 11:21 AM']Just for reference, the Er15 data is as follows....

Freq (Hz) 125 250 500 1K 2K 4K 8K
Att (db) 17.5 17.6 18.0 16.3 17.3 15.8 20.8

This equates to an almost flat graph and a much more 'natural' sound.[/quote]

I stand corrected!

I said, *I STAND CORRECTED!!!*

higher frequencys generally come through alot louder anyways so it balances out

[quote name='umph' post='312847' date='Oct 23 2008, 11:28 AM']higher frequencys generally come through alot louder anyways so it balances out[/quote]
With all due respect; bollocks! Even more bollocks when you have permenant hearing damage because the first thing you lose is the high frequency.

Chuffed to bits with how my hearing test went this morning with only a slightly low reading on the highest pitch at the lowest volume but nothing to worry too much about.

Top marks for Specsavers in Brighouse and the lady who tested me as the whole service was superb ( also used them very recently to get my first pair of specs at 49 years old and the service was excellent )

Still getting a little noise but seems to be diminishing since I started a few weeks ago using plugs and being careful etc

She recommended getting my ears syringed ( 3/4's full of wax ) before she does the impressions for the custom fits I am going to purchase ( apparently prices from them start at around £80 and go up to about £200 ish )

Tony

PS The test was FREE !!!!

[quote name='Clarky' post='312429' date='Oct 22 2008, 06:41 PM']Hmmm, ordered the Proguards on Sunday, they phoned today to offer me a fitting appointment at the end of November or December. Not too impressed by that, Told them so and they said they'd see what they could do and would call me back. I'm still waiting :)[/quote]
That's odd - I ordered a pair too and they called today and offered me this Weds or Fri. If you're in London, you should have plenty of options. Give them another call.