Why become a member? ×

Custom Fit Earplugs

stingrayfan

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='316278' date='Oct 27 2008, 11:13 PM']That's odd - I ordered a pair too and they called today and offered me this Weds or Fri. If you're in London, you should have plenty of options. Give them another call.[/quote]
Update - despite me leaving another message last week ProGuards have not rung back and its six days later. I will be "phoning to speak to the manager" today :)

I was talking with Paul Geary the other day about in-ear monitoring and ear-protectors as he's just had some made. He used an independent supplier, Hand-held Audio, however the actual items came from [url="http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=71"]ACS in Banbury[/url].

Some research has shown that they have an extensive dealer network and can provide a similar service to Specsavers. I have an appointment at my local chap later today to be measured up for some T3 in-ear monitors and some ER hearing protectors. If you have a preferred set of earphones then I believe that they will make some ear-moulds to take them.

According to their web site they will be exhibiting at Music Live. Perhaps they will be offering a special show deal.

[quote name='Toasted' post='316445' date='Oct 28 2008, 09:31 AM']Thanks Tony, I'm going to make an appointment when my local branch opens this morning (Shipley).[/quote]

I got mine from Specsavers Joe - they were excellent. Definitely would recommend them.

[quote name='obbm' post='316465' date='Oct 28 2008, 09:47 AM']I was talking with Paul Geary the other day about in-ear monitoring and ear-protectors as he's just had some made. He used an independent supplier, Hand-held Audio, however the actual items came from [url="http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=71"]ACS in Banbury[/url].

Some research has shown that they have an extensive dealer network and can provide a similar service to Specsavers. I have an appointment at my local chap later today to be measured up for some T3 in-ear monitors and some ER hearing protectors. If you have a preferred set of earphones then I believe that they will make some ear-moulds to take them.

According to their web site they will be exhibiting at Music Live. Perhaps they will be offering a special show deal.[/quote]

ACS in Banbury are the company that Specsavers use Dave. I went to the Banbury branch of Specsavers for mine & they told me they were actually being made in Banbury...
I had very poor service from Hand-held Audio - took them weeks to reply to email requests, then could never get 'the right guy' on the phone - so I gave up in the end (& I would have had to travel quite a distance for the fitting).
Then I found out you could just walk into any branch of Specsavers (one in most towns in the UK I think) & get exactly the same product - with excellent professional service at the same price. Usually I would advocate using small/independent companies - but in this case I found a big national chain to offer a much better service IMHO.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='316441' date='Oct 28 2008, 10:23 AM']The lady who did my test said that they do them from 9 to 25 ( I think that it is the same plugs with different inserts but not 100% sure )[/quote]

Yeah, that's right

Had my ear impressions done for the [url="http://www.proguarduk.co.uk/"]ProGuards[/url] today by the ear man at my local opticians. Posted them off, so hopefully will get the finished articles back in a couple of weeks. If anyone's interested, I'll do a review of them.

Audiologist did a hearing test while I was there too. Was dreading being told that my hearing was shot to pieces but it's actually ok. He did say there was a range of notes that I wasn't hearing as well as I could be...

.....the bass ones. Explains a lot. :)

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='dood' post='311054' date='Oct 21 2008, 08:34 AM']It was a fair question.. I've seen one chap drop his on the floor of a toilet, wipe them on his trousers and put them back in. You wouldn't stick a dirty spoon in your mouth, so why stick filthy plugs in your ears?[/quote]

its worse when people do it with contact lenses :)

i'm considering getting some custom fit plugs made. with my mysterious ear problems both wearing and not wearing ear plugs causes problems (so i go for wear), have no idea if custom fit plugs will help, i can only hope so. would be incredible if they did.

i guess i'll get me down to an audiologist and get some advice from them. any recommendations for a practice in leeds?

x

• 5 years later...

I had some custom IEM/ACS earplugs made from a mould made at the Custom IEM stand on the London Bass Show. They arrived a few weeks back and I've tried them on two gigs so far and in the main they seem to be fairly flat in terms of their attenuation. However I have identified an issue which to be fair both IEM and Acs are going to look into for me.
Firstly when I move my mouth on stage i.e. laughing or smiling with the band members or punters, there is leakage of sound round the sides of the insert. The second point is of more concern and I wonder if anyone here has had the same issue.
When slapping and popping the popped note sounds about a semitone flat which I found very confusing. Fortunately I was playing a fixed part so I could ignore it as I knew I could see I was hitting the correct notes.
But I could see if being a problem if I was doing an improvised solo. Has anyone else noticed that.
Jazzyvee