Why become a member? ×

Custom Fit Earplugs

stingrayfan

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='309777' date='Oct 19 2008, 12:37 PM']Ringing in my ears after the last couple of gigs, so time to get some custom fit earplugs done I think.

Anyone use [url="http://www.sensorcom.com/product.asp?P_ID=1298&PT_ID=271"]these ones[/url]? £99 inc getting the moulds done. Seems like a good deal - all the others seem to be £160.[/quote]
No, but if you ever get them, please do us a review!

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='309790' date='Oct 19 2008, 01:02 PM']No, but if you ever get them, please do us a review![/quote]
After a very loud gig last night (punk evening) my ears are ringing and I have decided to order some to prevent further damage. I will put up a review when they arrive, once I have had a band rehearsal (guess in about 2-3 weeks time)

PS, £99 excludes VAT and p&P, so all-in cost £122. Still seems tiny versus the cost of real hearing damage and given how much we all spend on gear

Edited by Clarky

Not quite made it to 50 ( four months to go ) and was in specsavers last week for reading glasses that I pick up this week ( brilliant service by the way ) and I am going to get my ears tested at the same time as I am now getting a little noise.

Although I am skint I think am going to get some of the custom moulded ones as the thought of having to give up playing live is terrible so I want to keep things protected as best I can. I will keep posting at each stage.

Just a quickie....

I've been using the ER20's (£13 from Specsavers) for a while now and never had any problems with them except they made the on-stage mix sound quite boomy. Recently I started to suffer a little itching in my ears when I was wearing them so i took the plunge and had some ER15's custom made.

WOW, what a difference!!! They're sooo comfy and the sound reduction is so even across the whole range. Best £160 I've ever spent, no question.

[quote name='woodster' post='310197' date='Oct 20 2008, 08:03 AM']Best £160 I've ever spent, no question.[/quote]

wow, rave review. My hearing is f***ed, but I might have to investigate this and guilt trip The Bank of Mum and Dad into getting some made. I reckon it would cost thousands of pounds to get my hearing sorted anyway - I'm 23 and can hear about as well as a 70 year old sound man who's spent his career with his head in bass bins :wacko:

A drummer I played with a few years back had some custom moulded ones made, he said it was the best investment he'd made since buying his house. I'm thinking seriously about these ProGuard ones. I've got some ER20s and while they're very good they make my ears itch too after a while.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='310282' date='Oct 20 2008, 10:59 AM']wow, rave review. My hearing is f***ed, but I might have to investigate this and guilt trip The Bank of Mum and Dad into getting some made. I reckon it would cost thousands of pounds to get my hearing sorted anyway - I'm 23 and can hear about as well as a 70 year old sound man who's spent his career with his head in bass bins :wacko:[/quote]

Yeah, I really can't praise them enough!

I ummmm'd and ahhhh'd about them for ages but the itching ER20's made the final decision for me. Had the moulds done at my local hospital audiology department and the finished plugs came through 4 weeks later.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='310282' date='Oct 20 2008, 10:59 AM']....My hearing is f***ed....[/quote]
Mine too. One thing you can be sure of, however bad your hearing is now, it can and will get worse. Once your hearing gets damaged every loud noise will gradually cause more damage; police sirens, smoke alarms, motor bikes.
I have been wearing my custom moulded ear plugs for 3 years and I couldn't play or rehearse with out them. If I lost the plugs I'd have to cancel the gig! I've got back up amps, cabs, basses, leads and straps and I'm seriously thinking about getting a backup set of ear plugs.
In my opinion another £160 will be money well spent.

[quote name='chris_b' post='310353' date='Oct 20 2008, 12:40 PM']Once your hearing gets damaged every loud noise will gradually cause more damage; police sirens, smoke alarms...[/quote]

Yeah they all hurt. I was waiting to see someone on the NHS about it for about 3 month, but that was about 2 years ago and I had forgot that I was on a waiting list to see someone, oh well. Bottom line is that I should do something about it now I reckon, or I'll be 50% deaf when I'm 30 :)

[quote name='woodster' post='310197' date='Oct 20 2008, 08:03 AM']WOW, what a difference!!! They're sooo comfy and the sound reduction is so even across the whole range. Best £160 I've ever spent, no question.[/quote]

+1 gazzillion.. I'll keep banging on about Etymotic Research ER9/15/25's Your ears deserve the best. Save the cash, buy some..save your ears!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='dood' post='310454' date='Oct 20 2008, 02:29 PM']+1 gazzillion.. I'll keep banging on about Etymotic Research ER9/15/25's Your ears deserve the best. Save the cash, buy some..save your ears!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Yep these are the dogs dangly bits. Best investment in an accessory ever. I wish they did a 12db attenuator though.

[quote name='dood' post='310458' date='Oct 20 2008, 02:30 PM']And a reminder of the ear plugs sticky... many tales of woe and advice to be heeded!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=533"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=533[/url][/quote]

Can I slightly derail this thread and ask for recommendations for *really* comfortable (ie custom) and great-sounding in-ear monitors that'll double as hearing protection? I have narrow canals and haven't ever found earphones or earplugs that don't feel horrible.

Something for on-stage monitoring, in-rehearsal attenuation and on-bike entertainment. That's be lovely. Thanks!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='310526' date='Oct 20 2008, 03:44 PM']But seriously, I dealt with it another way.

I got everyone to turn down.

Radical, eh?[/quote]

If you work with any drummers then you are endangering your ears if you do not wear earplugs. Even with brushes the peak SPL from a snare is easily enough to cause damage.

Alex

[quote name='bremen' post='310523' date='Oct 20 2008, 03:40 PM']Can I slightly derail this thread and ask for recommendations for *really* comfortable (ie custom) and great-sounding in-ear monitors that'll double as hearing protection? I have narrow canals and haven't ever found earphones or earplugs that don't feel horrible.

Something for on-stage monitoring, in-rehearsal attenuation and on-bike entertainment. That's be lovely. Thanks![/quote]

+1

[quote name='Jase' post='310923' date='Oct 21 2008, 12:13 AM']A few people have mentioned itching with the ER20's, what's that all about? I get it too.[/quote]

Without sounding like your mum, are you cleaning them properly and regularly?