Why become a member? ×

NBD Limelight P in Sonic Blue

Kevsy71

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1507667909' post='3387180']
What are used as the donor body and neck?
What’s the origin?
Just interested, that’s all.
[/quote]

That information, as with the origin of pickups, is not available. However every Limelight I've owned has been first rate as far as sound and playability goes.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1507668761' post='3387187']

That information, as with the origin of pickups, is not available. However every Limelight I've owned has been first rate as far as sound and playability goes.
[/quote]
Why isn’t it available?
Is it unavailable or is Limelight keeping it secret?

Edited by Sean

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1507672866' post='3387228']
And we're derailing this NBD thread!
[/quote]

If asking genuine questions about the new bass and its manufacturer, background and parts is derailing then I apologise.

It’s not like I’ve butted in with a story about some bass I own and made irrelevant sidetracks.

Maybe we should have a pre-written scope and rules for what you can and can’t say in a NBD thread.

I thought one of the purposes of an NBD thread was to introduce the uninitiated to brands they were not previously aware of and to propagate discussions about the instrument therefore raising awareness and interest.

Maybe an extension of posting guidelines is required?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1507672866' post='3387228']

Let's say Limelight isn't forthcoming with the information.

And we're derailing this NBD thread!
[/quote]

Asking about the components of the bass in the OP is discussing the bass in the OP , surely that's not derailing , it's discussing the bass and the builder?

I've no doubt limelights are great , never heard or seen anything but positives about them , and I'd like one

My only question is how do they end up with a Fender badge on ?

Presumably it is a decal of some sort. Note that this is pure speculation, I do not know for sure.
Also worthy of note is that there are already at least two threads I can think of dealing with the wider subject of decals and their legal/moral/aesthetic implications. Just sayin', as the errm saying goes.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1507702774' post='3387278']

Asking about the components of the bass in the OP is discussing the bass in the OP , surely that's not derailing , it's discussing the bass and the builder?

I've no doubt limelights are great , never heard or seen anything but positives about them , and I'd like one

My only question is how do they end up with a Fender badge on ?
[/quote]

+1

Some on-topic musings for digestion:

It’s not a Fender however it passes itself off as a Fender.

Is it OK for a British company that produces quality instruments to do this? I know Limelight makes no pretence about it being a genuine Fender, so does this make it OK?

I know a lot people object to many Chinese copies and say that this activity dilutes the brand.

Is it a fake? In many respects it’s probably better than many Fender instruments but it’s still a fake in my one good eye.

Do owners tell people, “I have a fake Fender.”? Or do they enter into some extended diatribe about how they have a “custom one-off replica” that’s been crafted from parts of unknown origins but is absolutely top notch in all respects and is far superior to the real thing? Enlighten me, I don’t know.

Build me a nice bass, yes but keep the “F” logo off it. That would be my preference but we’re all different.

Oh, and in case you’re wondering, I really like an aged sonic blue P.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1507728465' post='3387540']
I'd play / buy one happily and just call it a limelight , my questions more along the lines of aren't Limelight risking a lawsuit or do they have this covered somehow ?
[/quote]

I guess they are, but I also assume they know how to stay above the water.