Why become a member? ×

Quick P bass wiring query

solo4652

I'm replacing the wiring loom in my Harley Benton Shorty. The red wire that connects the two pickups was hanging on by a thread, so I'll re-solder that. The white signal wire from one pickup currently goes to a lug on the volume pot and the black earth wire from the other pickup currently goes to the volume pot casing. I've had the pickups out to replace the foam underneath but I can't remember which way round the pickups go. Does the one with the white signal wire have to be the front pickup, and does the one with the black earth wire have to be the rear pickup? Also, I may have rotated the pickups 180 degrees while investigating the foam. There is "PB4" on each pickup which reads the right way up if viewed from the neck end of the body, but would be viewed upside down if viewed from the bridge end. So - which way round should the pickups go, please?!

[attachment=237280:100_0904.JPG]

Once you have soldered the link wire back in place, put those ends together, so the link wire is at the end of the electronics compartment. It doesn't really matter which one is nearest the neck. as long as it all sits in there nicely and the coils are magnetically attracting, rather than rather than repelling.

Thank you Grangur. Did as you said, and it all worked. That's after I discovered that the new CTS pot shafts were bigger than the old pots shafts, meaning I had to drill out the pickguard holes. The bigger shafts meant the old knobs didn't fit but, luckily, I had some from a previous bass that did. The new capacitor is bigger than the old one and that meant I had to cut away some of the compartment walls with a craft knife to get it in. The new pots and the jack socket are larger than the old ones, so yet more craft-knife fettling of the control cavity. After I'd found a plaster for my cut finger, I managed to cram everything into the cavity and screw the pickguard on. No sound at all. Off it all came and I found another loose wire, so more ham-fisted soldering. What a bloody faff - it's only taken me 3 1/2 hours, and that's with a pre-wired "drop-in" loom! Anyway - got there in the end.