Why become a member? ×

For the Love of P/J

LewisK1975

Been thinking about getting a P/J bass lately.

Google search brought up this Nash PJ (among many others):

[attachment=237292:nash PJ.JPG]

I think I did a sex wee. :gas:

Now - question is, do I mod my RW precision to something similar, or go down the limelight type route?

Totally torn, I love my RW Precision, but look at that Nash!

Thoughts / other suggestions greatly appreciated!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1486132336' post='3229487']
Been thinking about getting a P/J bass lately.

Google search brought up this Nash PJ (among many others):

[attachment=237292:nash PJ.JPG]

I think I did a sex wee. :gas:

Now - question is, do I mod my RW precision to something similar, or go down the limelight type route?

Totally torn, I love my RW Precision, but look at that Nash!

Thoughts / other suggestions greatly appreciated!
[/quote]

I was thinking of doing the same to my RW P, but in the end I ended up leaving it alone and bought an I Ibanez Musician and Enfield with the Sims pickups that gives me the option of a PJ setting. I'd leave the RW as is, if it where me. Good luck.

Unless you have lots of experience and know you can rout out for the J pup in a nice, neat fashion, without needing a plate round the pup to make it look acceptable, I'd leave the RW alone too.

Even if you can do a neat job, you'll still have a raw wood edge to the cavity anyway.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1486136969' post='3229551']
Unless you have lots of experience and know you can rout out for the J pup in a nice, neat fashion, without needing a plate round the pup to make it look acceptable, I'd leave the RW alone too.

Even if you can do a neat job, you'll still have a raw wood edge to the cavity anyway.
[/quote]

No way I'd do it myself! There's a few fine fellas around my way that could manage it though. Very torn on this one, LOOK AT THAT NASH!

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1486137213' post='3229558']
No way I'd do it myself! There's a few fine fellas around my way that could manage it though. Very torn on this one, LOOK AT THAT NASH!
[/quote]
I guess those are stacked pots on the Nash? I'd definately be wanting to blend pups.

Lewis, this chap (on Facebook) seems to be looking to move a Limelight P/J on.
He's tentatively offered it against my 60's RI Jazz.

His spec appears to be white over sunburst, matching headsock, P/J config.
Anyway, if it's something that may interest you, he's .... https://www.facebook.com/danielwstirrat?fref=ufi

I have a Fender Reggie Hamilton Standard Jazz bass which is the perfect PJ for me. It has the classic PJ pup configuration, slim J neck and a fully featured active pre amp that can be switched off for passive use.
If you are thinking of modifying a non USA P then it shouldn't affect its value too much, but you will reduce the appeal of a good USA P by a non reversible mod. If it is going to be a keeper then go for it either way.

Edited by Sparky Mark

Thanks for all the inputs gentlemen.

I actually had a Black Reggie Hamilton a while ago, didn't feel the love for that one, but it [i]was [/i]super versatile with all the options on it.

Yep Highfox, they look like stack pots to me on that nash, got them on my Flea Jazz and regular RW jazz, I really like how they work.

Cheers Karl, haven't managed to get a look at that one yet, but given the spec you suggest it is, I imagine it's a rosewood board, and I'm really after a maple.

Could just look for another RW Precision I suppose and mod that one. Leaving my other one alone.

Or, perhaps I'll just ask the limelight chap for a quote, couldn't hurt, right? :rolleyes:

I just bought a Fender Deluxe Precision with the PJ set up and active circuit but no passive tone adjustment. It has the blend feature which i highly recommend.
If you add the J to your precision make sure you get it done properly.
I would stay with the passive bass as i think the active circuit is nice to have but its a bit overkill and a passive tone adjustment would suffice for me.
I tend to run my bass and amp virtually flat anyways and with PJ set up just make small changes to the blend and it gives enough tonal variation to go from deep thunderous P to tight snappy bridge J.
What's not to like. Wish i had bought one years ago.

Dave

I have 2 PJ's (one I modded and one I bought) and IMO a PJ just sounds like a P with a bit more EQ. I have the J turned off on my Mike Lull PJ5 because it sounds better as a straight P. My Jazz basses and Lakland sound better than the PJ if I want that sound.

I'll swim against the tide here and say I don't think a PJ is worth the mod.

If you want to cover the sonic territory you still need a Jazz or another 2 pickup bass so adding a J to a Precision is just the sound equivalent of putting go faster stripes on it. If you have a P bass that sounds good, be happy with it. If you need a different sound, get another bass.

Sometimes more is not better.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1486378186' post='3231169']
I have 2 PJ's (one I modded and one I bought) and IMO a PJ just sounds like a P with a bit more EQ. I have the J turned off on my Mike Lull PJ5 because it sounds better as a straight P. My Jazz basses and Lakland sound better than the PJ if I want that sound.

If you want to cover the sonic territory you still need a Jazz or another 2 pickup bass so adding a J to a Precision is just the sound equivalent of putting go faster stripes on it. If you have a P bass that sounds good, be happy with it. If you need a different sound, get another bass.

[/quote]

...or go the ezbass RW with dual P route...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site:+basschat.co.uk+ezbass+roadworn+dual&espv=2&biw=1536&bih=774&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0mqGNp_vRAhWJ7SYKHbOKC2wQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1.25#imgrc=-eXEIvn3yoUPtM:

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1486378530' post='3231176']
...or go the ezbass RW with dual P route...

[url="https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site:+basschat.co.uk+ezbass+roadworn+dual&espv=2&biw=1536&bih=774&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0mqGNp_vRAhWJ7SYKHbOKC2wQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1.25#imgrc=-eXEIvn3yoUPtM:"]https://www.google.c...-eXEIvn3yoUPtM:[/url]
[/quote]

Don't what it is about dual P pickups, it just looks 'wrong' to me. YMMV!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1486383440' post='3231233']
Looks-wise I couldn't agree more, but it prictice it counter the old P+J mix problem you here folk talk a lot about.
[/quote]

I'm afraid I'm very shallow when it comes to my Basses, yes they need to play great and sound great, but they REALLY need to look great as well. :rolleyes:

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1486378186' post='3231169']

[/quote]

This is exactly how I've always felt about P/J basses.

I got Mark at Limelight to build me a PJ bass - it's based on Adam Clayton's signature fender (for purely cosmetic reasons!) so it's like a 66 Jazz, green with matching headstock, pearloid PG, butterbean tuners, rosewood necks with blocks, PJ pickups and I asked for the controls to be Master Vol/Blend/Tone which is my much preferred to Vol/Vol/Tone.

It's an outstanding bass, sounds beautiful, looks awesome and it's been my preferred bass on tour over a 71 P, 75 Jazz and USA deluxe Jazz.

[url="https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/15252512_10155533395445760_6738251092143283660_o.jpg?oh=68b0cdab308282418182205bd2e70662&oe=590F4525"]https://scontent-lht...662&oe=590F4525[/url]

EDIT: Not sure if my pic links are working, here's another (hopefully)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMeb7WbFL0y/?taken-by=mikemcgibney

Edited by Mike

[quote name='Mike' timestamp='1486384270' post='3231247']
I got Mark at Limelight to build me a PJ bass - it's based on Adam Clayton's signature fender (for purely cosmetic reasons!) so it's like a 66 Jazz, green with matching headstock, pearloid PG, butterbean tuners, rosewood necks with blocks, PJ pickups and I asked for the controls to be Master Vol/Blend/Tone which is my much preferred to Vol/Vol/Tone.

It's an outstanding bass, sounds beautiful, looks awesome and it's been my preferred bass on tour over a 71 P, 75 Jazz and USA deluxe Jazz.

[url="https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/15252512_10155533395445760_6738251092143283660_o.jpg?oh=68b0cdab308282418182205bd2e70662&oe=590F4525"]https://scontent-lht...662&oe=590F4525[/url]

EDIT: Not sure if my pic links are working, here's another (hopefully)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMeb7WbFL0y/?taken-by=mikemcgibney
[/quote]

nice!