Why become a member? ×

Loud noise then fuse blows, possible causes?

T-Bay

My Marshall B150 blew an internal fuse last night, I have found replacements but I got the same result as last night. I get about a second of noise then the fuse blows.

Does anyone have any ideas what the fault may be? I am lucky to have a mate who works in electronics but he has no experience with amps of this sort so any possible starting points would be useful.

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1486295519' post='3230599']
Good to hear what sounds like what might have been an expensive repair was a cheap easy fix.
[/quote]
It helps having a mate who knows electronics inside and out, from much time searching it seems there are a few common weak spots that are easy to test and cheap to fix. The rectifier and the two big capacitors on the input side being the main culprits. The transformer is also easy to check but obviously a fair expense if that has died. It was an interesting morning and I learned a lot. The replacement rectifier is rated way over spec as well so should never go again (at least that's the theory!).