Why become a member? ×

Any recommendations for cheap but good mic stands

EBS_freak

Obviously K&M are the business, but Studiospares own brand are decent for cheapies. The six pack is around £70. They also keep a full complement of spare parts in stock for them, so unlike most cheapo ones, you can actually maintain them long term when they do start suffering wear and tear.

Edited by mike257

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1486808028' post='3234646']
I love the way the six pack of short mic stands costs more than their normal ones. The price difference must be to pay the fella with the saw who cuts them down to size!
[/quote]
I'm guessing they don't sell as many so don't get the volume price breaks that they get for the normal ones...? Maybe....?

One thing re the Studiospares stands is the base clamp, the tightener that holds the base to the feet has a plastic insert that eventually breaks.... and they do not offer replacement part for this bit. So ok if they are going to be used lightly or left upright in the studio but not much cop for serious gigging

I bought 12 last year and they are all now screwed (or not)

Edited by crez5150

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1487596067' post='3240996']
One thing re the Studiospares stands is the base clamp, the tightener that holds the base to the feet has a plastic insert that eventually breaks.... and they do not offer replacement part for this bit. So ok if they are going to be used lightly or left upright in the studio but not much cop for serious gigging

I bought 12 last year and they are all now screwed (or not)
[/quote]

:(

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1487847003' post='3243444'] Do you have a picture of the plastic part. I have used the ,K&M version before but now have financial constraints. Ido have a good workshop though and could probably kno I ups metal part to replace the plastic part. [/quote]

Hi, I think the plastic part he mentions is the sleeve that allows the legs to slide up the stand for storage. It has a retainer for a nut that the screw clamp uses but that screw bears upon the cast metal base. I haven't broken one yet, my one failure was the handgrip on the extending upright which cross threaded, unfortunately on one that I'd taken a saw to to make a small stand so I didn't feel it was worth returning. Spares for K&M cost as much or more than the Studiospares stands. If I ever get across to Stevie's I'll bring a stand with me. These stands aren't perfect and I can see that if you had roadies throwing them around they wouldn't take it. If you handle your own gear they are unlikely to break very quickly, spares are available and you can afford to carry spares in a band.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1487922357' post='3244096']
Hi, I think the plastic part he mentions is the sleeve that allows the legs to slide up the stand for storage. It has a retainer for a nut that the screw clamp uses but that screw bears upon the cast metal base. I haven't broken one yet, my one failure was the handgrip on the extending upright which cross threaded, unfortunately on one that I'd taken a saw to to make a small stand so I didn't feel it was worth returning. Spares for K&M cost as much or more than the Studiospares stands. If I ever get across to Stevie's I'll bring a stand with me. These stands aren't perfect and I can see that if you had roadies throwing them around they wouldn't take it. If you handle your own gear they are unlikely to break very quickly, spares are available and you can afford to carry spares in a band.
[/quote]

Yep thats the part..... unfortunately thats also the only spare part they don't offer. If you tighten the screw too much the plastic cracks in the centre and that in turn doesn't allow it to then hold the central pole off of the floor. The pole will then slip through the base and rest on the floor which will then pick vibrations up from the stage and transmit them through the stand.

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1487928327' post='3244149']
Yep thats the part..... unfortunately thats also the only spare part they don't offer. If you tighten the screw too much the plastic cracks in the centre and that in turn doesn't allow it to then hold the central pole off of the floor. The pole will then slip through the base and rest on the floor which will then pick vibrations up from the stage and transmit them through the stand.
[/quote]

I have four of the Studiospares ones, used weekly for the last four or so years... Never had a problem - however I don't throw them around or tighten stuff as hard as it's possible to do.. The boom clutch is usually the weak link in cheap stands, and the SS ones have held up perfectly... In terms of your bust ones put some foam under the centre pole?

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1487928760' post='3244159']
I have four of the Studiospares ones, used weekly for the last four or so years... Never had a problem - however I don't throw them around or tighten stuff as hard as it's possible to do.. The boom clutch is usually the weak link in cheap stands, and the SS ones have held up perfectly... In terms of your bust ones put some foam under the centre pole?
[/quote]

Nah we've retired them for the studio only and gone back to K&M. We bought some spare clamp parts from Thomann £1.21 each so not a big outlay. The K&M clamp part has a large metal washer in the plastic so there's no-way it will break. 3 months on and we haven't had an issue.