Why become a member? ×

Bass Questions

haydzev123

Hi, am new to this forum.
1) I have just bought a CHEAP 5String Westfield Bass 2nd hand and am looking to strip it down and refurbish. Would any1 b able to guess what wood it will b made of?

2) Also what are the best strings i could buy? 5ers?

Thanks...

Edited by haydzev123

Not sure about question 1, but for question 2, it depends on what kind of tone you are looking for, i.e. bright and trebly, or warm and mellow, like a double bass.

For the first, try stainless steel strings or nickel wounds. For the second...flatwounds. As for brands...you will get as many suggestions and recommendations as there are people on Basschat. :D "Best" is a very general term, especially where strings are concerned.

First off, welcome.

A Westfield isn't the most "high end" instrument out there (not disparaging your new bass in any way! :) ), so as a first guess, it would be basswood with a maple neck. Thankfully, the days of cheap "plywood" bodies would seem to be long gone.

What strings? What can you afford? If you can afford high end strings, go for them. If you can't then there's absolutely nothing wrong with lower end strings, you may not get the life of the high end strings, or the high end "zing", but you'll have strings that you can afford. I use "cheap" Fender strings. They're affordable enough so I can have a few spare sets in, they're bright enough for me and they last a good while. More importantly, I like them. Rotosound are a good "middle ground", and used by a lot of name players.

Dulux white emulsion is easy. Other colours are also available. ;)

Ok. Let's look at another way... What sort of finish do you like? I like an oil finish myself. That way you see the wood grain and it's easy to repair, but that might not suit everyone.

Edited by Grangur