Why become a member? ×

Footpedals, Launchpad and other controllers live in pub band

Woodinblack

I am in a pub covers band, we play a lot of varied music from modern pop all the way back to blues. Bass / guitar / sax / drums

There are a few songs that we do that I think could use some sort of synth input.
I have a foot pedal that for some reason I have never set up live, I guess its knowing what to run on it. I have an iPad, iPhone, synth modules etc, so no issues with controllers. I also have a GR55, but don't really get on with it on the bass.

We are just starting JK Deeper underground, and I think the synth bits on the record sound a bit weak without some sort of synth backing, and it has the advantage of no bass at the time that is happening (although at the moment I am playing it with a filter and octaver).

One thing we never do have is a lot of space though, so a large keyboard is out, so was wondering what other people do for playing synths as well as playing bass.

I was also noticing that the Launchpad is pretty cheap, maybe there are options for triggering samples while you are playing? Can you just trigger individual notes and sequences that don't loop with it? I haven't ever used one of those so no idea what it is like, and not sure how it could work when we play faster live than when we are practicing (or at least variable).

KMI Softstep or 12 step midi pedals. Awesomely programmable foot pedals once you work them out. Very flexible, can be used as bass pedals, trigger samples or midi controller. I use my Softstep for pretty much all of these things, one way or another... I'm in the top of Devon if you want to meet and have a play with it...

• 2 weeks later...

I have an FC300 which can be used to control a lot of the functions of the gr55 and can probably be set up to trigger various othrr things. Have a look at Google, there are quite a few articles. If it looks interesting let me know and we will work something out that will allow you to try it out.

I tried the first gig with it on Saturday, I played Another brick in the wall with the chords during the solo, and it sounded good. Also a first in it was the first time I have sung, so sat was keys, bass and vocals - not quite geddy lee yet...

I used a 12 step, iPad, sampletank and chordion. I am working on the next bit with samples.

I do have a GR55 but never really got on with it live.