Why become a member? ×

Bass sounds like Chorus / Flange

fleabag

Weird..

Changed strings recently ( fitted some Labella Super Steps ) and now my unaffected tone sounds like there's mild chorus or flange on it.

At first, i thought either my chorus pedal or flange pedal was still on despite them being switched off ...maybe a fault inside one of them. They were easily

proved innocent by going direct into the amp head. So now i have no culprit except the strings ?

I did a bit of googly googly and there was mention of windings round the string post ( eh ? ) or strings too close to the pickup

I only changed the strings and never touched the string action itself by lowering at all. Same action as before, when the old strings were on. Never had the
problem then

Any ideas would be great. If not, i'll start arresting people on false charges

Edited by fleabag

They may be more magnetic than your old strings, try lowering the pickups just to see.
*also the fact that they're contact cores means that they'll sit closer to your pickups anyway (assuming that you haven't adjusted at the bridge) Have you noticed your action is lower since the switch?

Edited by miles'tone

If they are the exposed core ones and the old ones weren't, the string itself may be slightly closer to the pickup. As suggested above, try lowering the pickup a bit.
You don't say what the bass is, but my guess is it has single coil pickups.
I've only ever come across this on a strat, and it mystified me for a minute. I'd been changing pickups for someone and got it set a fraction high.
I've never had this on a humbucker pickup no matter how closely I've set it though, guitar or bass.

This can happen if there is slight twist along the length of the string, usually as a result of wrapping the string around the post to speed things up whilst the ball end was not free to rotate. Loosen it off and rotate the ball end to make sure there's no torsion on it.

Edited by dannybuoy

Thanks for the ideas chaps

Yes, Labella Supersteps have the thin exposed core at the bridge. Well spotted those people. They must obviously sit a tad lower on the saddle than a string with outer core at the bridge.

Dont know why i didnt think of that . They're also stainless steel so as said, ARE more magnetic.

I guess a lowering of the pickup might be in order. Yes i have a single coil in the neck ( a neo magnet Entwhistle, the strongest pickup magnets known to man )

I never even thought to try the bridge pickup, which is a bucker Warman UK MM. I'll look at that again and see if it happens on the bridge pickup too

Danny, i dont do the lazy winding thing. I simply cut off the excess, then poke the end down into the centre of the post, fold to the side, and then wind properly, so i'm ruling out that
problem

Thank the force, there will be no arrests today ;)

• 2 weeks later...