Why become a member? ×

Inflated ticket prices -- petition

Rich

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1486295857' post='3230605']
. . . . but we have the power to stop them, just don't use them, as with inflated ticket prices, supply and demand is what it's all about
[/quote]

Exactly.

I'd like petrol to be cheaper. Heck, I'd like cars to be cheaper. In fact I'd like everything to be cheaper. I'm sure we all would, but what difference does anyone think a petition will make?

A few empty venues would have far more impact than a petition, but it's not going to happen is it?

Frankly, the touts are just another level of rip off when the basic ticket prices can easily be £150+ these days. I'm just glad I got to see all the 'big names' years ago when ticket prices were sensible. I won't pay today's 'big name' ticket prices, but that's of little consequence if loads of other people will - which is fair enough I s'pose.

Edited by Downdown

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1486458705' post='3231860']
Signed. Still need 70k more signatures to get it debated though...
[/quote]

dude it was at 2K yesterday or day before and now it is 32K. Deadline is 10th of May so looks like we will get there easy!

Positive thinking!

Guest bassman7755

Well ... I actually like the market in ticket resales because it means I occasionally actually get a ticket for popular events. For example there is pretty much zero chance I would have got a ticket for the last AC/DC tour. I like having the to option to simply pay through the nose and take my time getting tickets vs having the sit at a computer at a specific time continually refreshing the page and buying in a panic.

Guest bassman7755

Further to my earlier post, the fundamental problem with event ticket selling is that original promoters dont let the market set the price - they sell them at a fixed price (generally below their true value) and then various middle men come in and pocket the difference.

The obvious solution is for the event promoters to hold an auction for tickets in the first place, this way the promoters and the act themselves get the benefit of the true market value of the tickets rather than middle men.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1486503667' post='3232394']
Further to my earlier post, the fundamental problem with event ticket selling is that original promoters dont let the market set the price - they sell them at a fixed price (generally below their true value) and then various middle men come in and pocket the difference.

The obvious solution is for the event promoters to hold an auction for tickets in the first place, this way the promoters and the act themselves get the benefit of the true market value of the tickets rather than middle men.
[/quote]

im not sure that is a solution as the touts will just by the tickets via the auctions instead.

Just had a mail from "See tickets" advertising Dylan at various venues. Not a huge fan but I see him as one those names you sort of ought to maybe see before either of us dies.

He's at the Palladium which I believe, was bought by Really useful in order to bring quality theatre and music to the masses at sensible and non-inflated prices.

Palladium website doesn't even list the gigs in its events calendar but you can buy tickets via "See tickets" at a minimum cost (enticingly entitled the "Silver experience") for a mere £225. "Gold experience" is £250 and "Front row experience" is £275. This provides you with a seat, and some "Dylan collectable merchandise" and a full itinary which I guess, is a piece of paper with the gig start time and if the bar is open in the intermission.

Anyway, I'm not going as I've figured out it'll be cheaper to fly to the States and visit him in hospital when he is dying. Assuming he goes first.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1486723970' post='3234076']
Just had a mail from "See tickets" advertising Dylan at various venues. Not a huge fan but I see him as one those names you sort of ought to maybe see before either of us dies.
[/quote]

I wouldn't bother at £25, never mind £250. Saw him in the mid-80s at Wembley arena and it was probably the worst show I've ever seen, such was his obvious distain (or was it contempt) for the audience.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1486723970' post='3234076']
[/quote]

Had tickets to see Dylan and Mark Knopfler a year or two ago, gave the, away. Reports back were that Knopfler was very good, Dylan much less good.

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1488371029' post='3248300']
Brought up in Prime Ministers questions today.
[/quote]

So government wants to ban anyone using 'bots' to buy tickets and then selling them on for a profit. Fair enough, though I wonder if they plan to do the same about all the 'bot' trading that goes on in the City? No, thought not. :lol:

https://blog.promotioncentre.co.uk/ticket-touts-could-face-jail-time-for-using-bots-to-bulk-buy-tickets/

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1486295857' post='3230605']
done, but we have the power to stop them, just don't use them, as with inflated ticket prices, supply and demand is what it's all about
[/quote]

That'll never work. They have you by the balls so to speak. If you want to see a given band and the only way to do it via these expensive tickets then what choice to do you have.

Of course, you could sit at home, refuse to go and miss the band. But someone else is going to pay for that ticket, your protest is going to achieve nothing, and you're going to miss the band.

Much better to actually do something active about it like this petition.