Why become a member? ×

Kit Built Guitars - anyone tried them

GarethFlatlands

My other half bought me a flying v kit from them a couple of years ago, the neck pocket is slightly too big and i mean very slightly, a strip of 1mm veneer slotted down one side cured that, apart from that it was decent quality for the price, the electrics never made it in though, i bought better ones straight away.

I'd love to try a DIY kit (or just buy a ton of parts) sometime. I'm not too concerned about the woodworking aspect of it as most of the work is done (to varying degrees of QC!), but it's the electronics I'd be concerned about. I haven't used a soldering iron since high school, and I've forgotten what little I ever learned about circuitry! :lol:

[quote name='Rikki_Sixx' timestamp='1487155911' post='3237535']
I'd love to try a DIY kit (or just buy a ton of parts) sometime. I'm not too concerned about the woodworking aspect of it as most of the work is done (to varying degrees of QC!), but it's the electronics I'd be concerned about. I haven't used a soldering iron since high school, and I've forgotten what little I ever learned about circuitry! :lol:
[/quote]
The electrics in a plain P-bass are simple.

[quote name='Rikki_Sixx' timestamp='1487155911' post='3237535']
[/quote]
[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1487163328' post='3237655']
The electrics in a plain P-bass are simple.
[/quote]

Better still, on the Brandoni P-bass kits, they come pre-wired with the pickup taped to the scratchplate!

Just finished one today, the body and neck are well made, and fit together nicely, the electronics are okay. Pickup sounds fine but the pots are cheap and a bit crackly.

Tuners, bridge and and chrome parts are all cheap but for the price they do the job.

Think the whole thing cost £80 including paint, so could of of just got a harley benton but i wouldnt of got to chose the colour or had the fun of building it!

[quote name='Andytre' timestamp='1487268941' post='3238546']
Just finished one today, the body and neck are well made, and fit together nicely, the electronics are okay. Pickup sounds fine but the pots are cheap and a bit crackly.

Tuners, bridge and and chrome parts are all cheap but for the price they do the job.

Think the whole thing cost £80 including paint, so could of of just got a harley benton but i wouldnt of got to chose the colour or had the fun of building it!
[/quote]Folks will be green with envy!