Why become a member? ×

I used a Behringer BDI 21 last night...

bigevilman

....and was pleasantly surprised! I used to have a Sansamp years ago, and with my previous rig (Eden WT800), although it was a good sound, it covered the Eden tone, so I got rid.

Years later, I'm running a Blackline Markbass Lm250 with an upgraded Squier VM precision V. Its a real nice sound, but very clean sounding, so I'm always rolling off the mids.

After reading loads of reviews of the BDI, I thought what the heck, and spent £25 next day from Amazon.

The difference was astonishing. I'd say the pedal was just as good as the sansamp. Minimal if not no background noise, and it sat in the mix great. No loss of bottom end and sounded thick and full. Rest of the band complimented the sound, and it was real easy to dial in a balanced tone.

I would highly recommend these to anyone :) best £25 Ive spent this year!

[quote name='CliveT' timestamp='1486314922' post='3230820']
Thanks for the review. Been thinking about one on these too. As well as the Sansamp type sound (or better as you say) does it work as a transparent eq and/or boost too?
[/quote]

No. Would recommended the pedal though.

I picked up a BDI21 around Christmas time as I wanted a bass overdrive pedal to pair with my DHA pre amp and I really didn't fancy dropping huge amount of money's on a bk3/7. Been using it for the past couple of months and it sounds amazing! Easily the best amount of money spent and easily the biggest bang for buck you can get. I just have to see how it holds up for the rest of the year against my heavy foot. Although buying 4 of them would still be cheaper than any darkglass pedal.

Definitely an advocate here. Works best for me using fairly subtle settings and easy on the Blend control. Warms up a solid-state amp very nicely.

The price is a bit of a red herring, the BDI stands on its own merits and competes on its own terms.

However at £25 there's really no reason not to have one permanently in your gig bag.

I have just got hold of one of these pedals second hand but am not happy with the overdrive sound. When I turn up the drive control the sound cracks up and there is a loud HF whistle. Maybe my pedal isn't working right. Should the overdrive sound smooth? If so I may try getting another one
thanks

[quote name='adriansmith247' timestamp='1486640711' post='3233428']
I have just got hold of one of these pedals second hand but am not happy with the overdrive sound. When I turn up the drive control the sound cracks up and there is a loud HF whistle. Maybe my pedal isn't working right. Should the overdrive sound smooth? If so I may try getting another one
thanks
[/quote]the overdrive is a bit on and off, after about 3 o clock it suddenly starts getting all 'spikey', I use a Zoom B1on for this reason a lot more controllable and not much more money, haven't noticed the HF whistle though

[quote name='adriansmith247' timestamp='1486640711' post='3233428']
thanks
[/quote]

The HF whistle sounds like a fault unless it's actually feedback via your bass which can happen as there can be a lot of gain through the device. Try moving away from the speaker and see if it still happens.
tbh I don't think these devices (BDI21 and Sansamp BDDI) sound good with the DRIVE set high. Too much break up. Some people seem to like that though. With DRIVE reduced they do a great job imho.

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1486720153' post='3234036']
With DRIVE reduced they do a great job imho.
[/quote]

+1 Definitely. I find subtle settings work best. The overall effect of the unit on your signal depends on the relative positions of the Level and Blend controls. Having everything whacked up to 11 isn't going to work too well...

[quote name='chrisd783' timestamp='1486724090' post='3234077']
...the casings are made from what appears to be compressed toilet paper... is that really an issue?
[/quote]

Not at all - the BDI-21 is like a Swiss Army Knife. You can use it to warm up your tone, go DI through the desk if you're amp fails and if you get taken short at a venue with poor facilities you can wipe your arse with it as well.

Edited by discreet

I have (or have had) a few behringer pedals - most have been pretty good, but the tuner pedal was crap for bass. The BDI is great for adding a bit of a snarl to the bass, but the ADI-21 (the brown acoustic equivalent to the BDI) really warms up an electric upright bass - it sounded wonderful when I had my old Dean Pace, and I still use it with my NS-CR5M

I often see criticism of the build quality of behringer pedals - particularly the plastic housing, but I've never had any problems with mine. My ancient BDI-21 looks a bit battered and abused but still works perfectly. Out of interest anyone actually ever had a behringer pedal's housing disintegrate underfoot?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1486727708' post='3234133'] I have (or have had) a few behringer pedals - most have been pretty good, but the tuner pedal was crap for bass. [/quote]

Would like to add that it is also pretty sh*t for guitar as well, in case you were thinking of buying one - it also kills your signal when it runs out of battery, even if it's off.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1486727708' post='3234133']
...the ADI-21 (the brown acoustic equivalent to the BDI) really warms up an electric upright bass...
[/quote]

Is it really brown, or..? :huh:

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' timestamp='1486727708' post='3234133']
...anyone actually ever had a behringer pedal's housing disintegrate underfoot?
[/quote]

No, but if you get them wet they do take a while to dry out. :mellow: