Why become a member? ×

NBD: Squier Matt Freeman Precision

Rexel Matador

Thanks again to everyone who has sent me messages helping me to find one of these. In the end, I was talking to a guitar shop employee and mentioned I was after one, and rather than trying to sell me something they actually had in stock, he showed me a facebook post he'd seen about a used one for sale. Some people are so nice. I snapped it up today - it's got the odd ding here and there, but it's only going to end up with more.

I got it as a back-up for my beloved MIM P. They look particularly great together - I'm thinking about cream pickup covers for the Squier to complete the effect!

[attachment=237561:FullSizeRender.jpg]

[attachment=237568:IMG_2793.JPG]

Edited by Rexel Matador

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1486453205' post='3231804']
Slap some dimarzio model p's in it ,a nice gotoh 201 bridge and some better tuners and it's a bass that cannot be beaten .........Like my main player ;-) . Good score, I absolutely love mine and don't think I would ever get rid.
[/quote]
Indeed, the tuners might be the closest thing this bass has to a flaw. Which ones would you recommend?

great basses, and the black one looks particularly nice :gas:

It's irrational but I still sometimes want a black one. I had a hard time deciding when I got mine. I thought they only made it in cream and that's what I was going for... and I saw the black one :o . I stuck to my original plan but as I ended up transforming the cream one, maybe I still have room for a black one, sometime :P

My "Transmodel" Matt Freeman:

I've just traded mine, which I am sure I will regret at some stage... I put a lovely white pearl plate on it, which made it look very sexy indeed! [url="http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/precision-bass-scratchplate-pickguard-for-fender-p-bass/"]http://www.northwest...-fender-p-bass/[/url]

These basses really do set the standard for fit and finish - at any price point, but especially when they are so cheap! :)

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for one in the end?

Edited by Conan

Slap some dimarzio model p's in it ,a nice gotoh 201 bridge and some better tuners and it's a bass that cannot be beaten .........Like my main player ;-) . Good score, I absolutely love mine and don't think I would ever get rid.
[/quote]

Really? The pickups I could maybe understand (although the stock ones - Tonerider I believe - are OK), but the bridge is fine and the tuners perfectly acceptable IMO. The problem is, once you start modding cheap basses where do you stop? These basses are great straight out of the box and put to shame many instruments at twice and even three times the price! :gas:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1486462720' post='3231933']
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for one in the end?
[/quote]
I paid £200 for it. There are a few dings in the finish but nothing major. It sounds fantastic as it is but I'm going to try a Quarter Pounder in it just out of curiosity. The tuners on the MIM feel better to me, but other than that, there's very little in it.

[quote name='Rexel Matador' timestamp='1486464112' post='3231958']
I paid £200 for it. There are a few dings in the finish but nothing major. It sounds fantastic as it is but I'm going to try a Quarter Pounder in it just out of curiosity. The tuners on the MIM feel better to me, but other than that, there's very little in it.
[/quote]

Wow! Bargain of the century!! :)

[/quote]

Which tuners Dan, I`ve not had an issue with mine but like to spec up on these things before the event so to speak, as not tried mine in a band environment yet.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1486487269' post='3232216']
Which tuners Dan, I`ve not had an issue with mine but like to spec up on these things before the event so to speak, as not tried mine in a band environment yet.
[/quote]

I've gigged mine a few months and I have no issue whatsoever with the tuners, quite frankly.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1486462885' post='3231936']
Really? The pickups I could maybe understand (although the stock ones - Tonerider I believe - are OK), but the bridge is fine and the tuners perfectly acceptable IMO. The problem is, once you start modding cheap basses where do you stop? These basses are great straight out of the box and put to shame many instruments at twice and even three times the price! :gas:
[/quote] I dunno the tuners felt a little cheap to me? iv'e always used gotoh bridges (maybe a placebo effect with sound)..... but the spacing on the stock bridge is ever so slightly wider than normal which i didn't like. with the bridge ,tuners ,pups and kiorgan loom it cost about £200 ..
all in all about £600...But! i have had a us p bass and many others come and go but this is still here ,the neck is perfect for me :-)

Edited by danbowskill

[quote name='Rexel Matador' timestamp='1486458289' post='3231851']
Indeed, the tuners might be the closest thing this bass has to a flaw. Which ones would you recommend?
[/quote] i wacked these [url="http://g-gotoh.com/international/product/gb2.html"]http://g-gotoh.com/i...roduct/gb2.html[/url] in .....think i got em for around£50 off ebay , they feel supurb quality and look cool.
I'll wack some pics up later

Edited by danbowskill

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1486503290' post='3232388']
Nice one, that`s very encouraging to hear, the ones on mine seem pretty ok so far.
[/quote]

They are! :)

Even if they were made of softer metal, it's a pretty solid design with little that can go wrong probably in decades.
I've had basses with that design of tuners that they may feel a little wobbly, but once in tension nothing rattles and stays in place. Most rattles tend to be around the collar anyway and is easily fixed. It would be really strange for a tuner of that design to slip; it would have to have seriously worn gears which is nothing to even consider in a newish bass.

I've only replaced tuners for aesthetics or due to accidents (two damaged tuners in my SUB, bent... still working but their Daliesque nature was disturbing :P)

I can see someone wanting to replace the bridge because the string spacing, or the looks... but tuners, nah, you're alright.

I'll jump in as the Matt Freeman has been my main bass for a few years now.

If you want to replace the tuners, [b]Schaller BMLs[/b] will drop straight in. That's not the 70s-style BMFLs, it's the ones with the same plate shape as your stock ones, so no filling or drilling required. It's a pricey option though. Personally, I wouldn't change them. I only put the Schallers on mine as I'd broken one of the keys. I couldn't source a single replacement, and Fender would only sell me a full set, and I found a used set for less. I actually found the stock tuners to hold the tuning better than the Schallers, and were smoother to turn as well.

The pickup is a personal thing. I had 2 Matt Freemans at one point and one had a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder fitted when I received it. I took it straight out and put the original back in. My advice would be to see how you get on with it before dropping any more money on it.

The bridge is pretty substantial as well, so unless the string spacing is an issue I can't see how a replacement would be any better. Although the bass has mini pots and fairly basic wiring, I've gigged and recorded with mine for the last 2 years and never had a problem. It's dead silent in terms of background hum/hiss too.

Oh, and I paid £195 for mine ;)

Edited by Jono Bolton