Why become a member? ×

Kala U Bass

AdamWoodBass

Hey everyone

I managed to play one of these in Forsyths Music at the weekend. I was genuinely blown away by it! It took a bit of getting used to with the rubber strings and unbelieveably short scale but after a few minues of adjusting I was grooving away on it. The tone on these things is insane! The only thing I'd change about it would be to fit a thumb rest as the playing postition feels a bit awkward. Not sure how I'd feel about turning up to a gig with one of these things but man it sounded good!

Does anyone else own one or has anyone else played one? What did you think?

https://kalabrand.com/pages/u-bass

Adam

I played the "solid body" style one at the LBGS and why highly impressed - certainly better than the Ashbory.

I'm waiting for them to start selling for under £200 and I'm going to buy one. These would be perfect for getting your kids involved in bass playing - proper bass sound in a little package.

Edited by TheGreek

I had one and bought thumb rests from the states that stuck on but could be pulled off again.

I used mine at festivals or gigs where It was impractical to take my double bass.

The Kala always went down well and surprised the audience with how big it sounded. Didn't like the stock or upgraded strings though.

I have a Kala Exotic Mahogany and a deko HB. In all honesty I couldn't recommend the Kala at all. With the original strings on it it has a kind of charm, but putting better strings on reveals SERIOUS intonation issues. I've tried the pyramid roundwounds and a set of tapewounds and both are atrocious. I had seen a thread on that other bass forum where a few people complained of a similar issue that needed a bridge reset to fix. It's probably compounded by the common pickup issue mine also experiences - the pickup is epoxied to the underside of the bridge, but requires the whole unit to make contact to the body of the bass via the bottom of the bridge channel. Well epoxy doesn't leave a nice level surface and if it doesn't touch correctly you get dead strings. The E on mine is virtually inaudible. The Kala fix? Loosen the strings and pull/roll the saddle in the slot to seat it better... If I'd bought it myself it would have gone straight back for a refund, but it was a birthday present imported from the states...

Other than a few sharp fret ends the HB is every bit as good to play. Doesn't look as pretty, but I can live with that...

I tried a few Uke basses including Kalas and didn't like them very much for most of the reasons already mentioned above... what I did end up with is a Shortbass one which is made by the Italian string company Aguila... link here... http://www.shortbassone.com/?cat=4&lang=en Mine is the Shortbass one 12 which is the smaller of the two models they produce... this is in a different league to the Uke basses in terms of playability, I know I love my one... price wise theres not alot between them and Uke basses though I admit I got mine used and it was a bit of a bargain... lovely fun little instrument though :)

I have a Kala, and I think it's great. I got it for open mics and folk club, where I couldn't take my double bass.
It sounds huge, though the E string is a tad quieter (not hugely quieter - just a bit)
I love the sound of it. Though the very short scale nature of it can take a bit of getting used to, especially if you have just been playing DB

Re the rubber strings;- I formerly owned an Ashbory, and had Thundergut strings on that. Now lots of people prefer the Thunderguts, but I didn't get on with them at all. In fact, I didn't really like the Ashbory very much. I prefer the Kala. It is only used occasionally, but I wouldn't sell it, as it's such a handy sized instrument, with a big sound.

Audiences are often amazed at the sound it produces. On 2 occasions, other bass players have been present when I played the Kala, and both have since gone out and bought one, after hearing mine

I have the Countryman with Thundergut strings, but I found I was getting confused switching between that and a 5-string bass, so I bought a 5-string set for the U-bass and strung it BEAD (The 5-string set is intended for a 23 inch neck, so it may not work on the 20 inch Kala. The Countryman is a 22 inch neck, so in proportional terms the string tension is equivalent to an E string in drop D tuning).

The Countryman was £150, and has a 3-band eq and tuner built in. The cheapest Kala was £250, and had volume and tone, and no tuner.

I use it for open mic nights, and as a space-saver spare for gigs, and I'm bringing it to the NW Bass Bass if anyone wants to try it.

David

Edited by Mottlefeeder

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1486459906' post='3231878']
How much better would you say a countryman is compared to a HB?
[/quote]

Fit and finish far superior, plus the body is rather smaller which adds to portability.

Sound, probably not a whole lot in it. Also (irrelevant I know) HB was fretless and I prefer fretted.

I had one briefly. Useless as an acoustic instrument, you had to use an amp even in a small acoustic sesion which defeated the object of the exercise.

With the rubber band strings on you can't slide as the strings stretch under your finger and you intonation goes..

I now use an Ashbury or just take my Tacoma Thunderchief.

Steve

I have a fretted mahogany Kala U bass and thoroughly enjoy playing it on the rare occasions it goes to small pub folk nights. The stock strings do take an age to stretch out so you don't have to keep retuning, but once they are I don't have a problem with intonation. Having said that I use it to play walking bass lines and tend not to do too many slides which could cause problems if done with high pressure on the strings I guess.

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1486569517' post='3232878']
Side note. What are peoples experience with steel strings on U basses? Is it worth just sticking with the rubber(y) ones?
[/quote]
As far as I am aware, the only metal strings that fit a 20-22 inch scale are the Pyramid ones mentioned above.

David

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1486569517' post='3232878']
Side note. What are peoples experience with steel strings on U basses? Is it worth just sticking with the rubber(y) ones?
[/quote]
Have seen/heard these demoed. Sound then becomes electric bass-like, making size your only advantage. No double bass sound remains, so would not do it myself..

Just another +1 for the Countryman.

I've had mine around a year now, and use it every week at an acoustic gig on those songs which
sound better with an upright-ish sound. Always get good comments on it, usually along the lines
of " how does that tiny thing sound so huge" etc. Nobody buys these to play unplugged unless
it's a bit of home practice as they sound completely different from when used into amplification.
I use mine straight into a Yamaha mixer amp with a pair of Bose 802 speakers, and it is incredible
what tones can be had.
It cost £149 last year. I tried the Kala one before buying, and couldn't see where the extra £200+
went to be honest. Certainly try one out if you're in the market for one, think you'll be impressed.

I have a fretted HB, and whilst its loads of fun, I wouldn't trust the tuning and intonation to gig with, but there is a possibility its just the way I play it with these rubbery strings... I would be tempted to pay out for a countryman, but no way for anything over that price for a bit of a fun bass.

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1486573687' post='3232933']
Have seen/heard these demoed. Sound then becomes electric bass-like, making size your only advantage. No double bass sound remains, so would not do it myself..
[/quote]

This ^^^^
Learn to live with the rubbery strings, they're what makes them sound like they do.
Also for me the fretless ones are a bit pointless, as the differing sound of the strings touching
either the fretboard or the frets is minimized by their rubberiness!! As slides are also out
of the question, the fretless is in my opinion a non starter. With the short scale / unusual strings,
you have enough to get your head around without the direction/security that frets offer!

Edited by casapete