Why become a member? ×

Any Ideas?

Horizontalste

I have been tinkering again (always a bad idea) & have somehow managed to kill the output on my bass.
The story so far, swapped the pickup selector switch on my Yamaha Bb for a volume pot, I used a fender schematic & at first managed to get the tone pot acting as a volume, then doing nothing & completely closed & now it's wide open & doing nothing & the output is real low!
I'm sure I've got an earth somewhere I shouldn't have but it's doing my nut in.
Is it possible I've burnt out the Cap?
Suggestions most welcome.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1486400136' post='3231469']
Is it possible to swap back to the original setup and see if that works ok?
[/quote]

I'm not really sure I can remember how it came apart, the switch was a bit useless to be honest so I didn't pay much attention taking it out knowing I wouldn't be putting it in.
I could really do with it for rehearsal tomorrow & jam night on Wednesday :-/

If it were mine is think I'd disconnect everything and start again.

I'm confused by you saying you've replaced a selector switch with a volume pot. Do you mean you've used a 2-pot blend control? I'm guessing it isn't so without seeing it is would hesitate to guess what you've done.

Maybe the best way forward here is tell us what pups you have.

Also, how many potential positions have you got? From this we can make a suggestion for a circuit layout/diagram and go from there.

A pic is worth a thousand words ... :)

Assuming it's a BB P/J type with a three way switch, the pic below may help you to get it back to its original state.

[URL=http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/iankay/media/Stuff/Yamaha%20BB%20wiring.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i370/iankay/Stuff/Yamaha%20BB%20wiring.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by ikay

I'll get a picture as soon as I get five.

It's basically the standard Yamaha Bb425 pickup's minus the three way selector switch, I replaced it because I'd prefer to be able to blend rather than the all or nothing of the switch.
So I wired in Vol, Vol, Tone & both Vol pots work as they should but the tone is misbehaving. Each pots live is wired correctly & each is earthed to the next if you know what I mean. The bridge earth & additional earth's from the pickups are all terminated correctly too, for a passive bass there's a lot of wiring.
I'll put a picture up when I get home.
Cheers fellas.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1486405797' post='3231540']
A pic is worth a thousand words ... :)

Assuming it's a BB P/J type with a three way switch, the pic below may help you to get it back to its original state.

[URL=http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/iankay/media/Stuff/Yamaha%20BB%20wiring.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i370/iankay/Stuff/Yamaha%20BB%20wiring.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[/quote]

Exactly that but now minus the switch :-)

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1486408390' post='3231576']
Exactly that but now minus the switch :-)
[/quote]

Well, not exactly that as you say you have 2 volume controls.

So can you elaborate on 'misbehaving' - not really a good description to work out what is happening.

Thanks for your input so far fellas.

Tonight I have stripped the loom down completely & built it back up using quite a bit less wire than Yamaha did & the Jazz wiring diagram.

When I'd put it back together & plugged in the neck pickup & tone control worked perfectly but no bridge pickup. On inspection I noticed I'd managed to knock the hot wire from the bridge pickup off the pot so I soldered it back on & quest what? No tone control & half it's normal output!
I've taken it off again so I can use it tomorrow & Wednesday with just the neck pickup but I'm guessing now the pot I used for the bridge is knackered.
I shall find another & try again.

Thet's clearly a case of bad wiring. I'm sure there's something either connected to wrong place or with a dry joint. Tricky part is that the more we look at the wiring less obvious seems to be the problem, trust me, it happened to me more times than i want to remember.

Solution: Unsolder everything, i mean everything - every single wire and cap from the pots - then start again fresh following the Fender diagram. Solder all the grounds (leave the pickups to the end) together between the pots and jack. Solder the wires for the hot signal between pots and jack. Then solder the cap back in. Finally solder the pickup wires in.

Tip: Since you're converting your bass in a VVT move the tone to the hole where you had the switch. Replacing the switch with a volume pot will leave you wuth a VTV config and would make it much harder to do a visual comparison with the Fender diagram drawing.

If all fails just order a brand new wiring loom from kiogon. And if you need to use it live in a hurry just solder both pickups straight in to the jack and sort the tone with the amp's EQ just to get you by.