Why become a member? ×

Bass Cleaning - Maple Fretboard

dmc79

Hi all, first post here other than a bit of Classifieds action. . . Just after some tips on cleaning my maple necked MIA P-bass. Will be restringing soon so plan to clean the fingerboard. I understand you don't use lemon oil on maple. I am looking at Dunlop 65 Guitar Polish & Cleaner or Fender Custom Shop Guitar Cleaner. Any thoughts on these or others you recommend? I guess you use these on the fingerboard, neck and body?

After cleaning I have read that some people use car products to get a good shine. I already have some Autoglym Super Resin Polish and some Meguiars Quik Detailer, I guess these would both be ok? Also has anyone used Megs Scratch-X to remove minor scratches from the bass body, as I have some of that too?

Any particular microfibre cloth you like? I see Fender do at least 3 (Factory, Dual Sided Super Soft & Premium Plush), with the Dunlop one costing more than all the Fenders. I would be wary about using a Halfords / budget MF but I guess any of the Fenders or good quality car MF's would be fine.

Last question - I've never cleaned my strings before, just replaced them when dead, but am interested in what is out there for string cleaning. Which method do you prefer - Fast Fret type stick thingy, those contraptions you trap the strings in then glide down the board with, or some kind of wipes?

Thanks for your help
Dave

Unless you have some serious breaks in the lacquer you can use a microfiber cloth or an old, soft dish cloth, damped with water and a spot of washing up liquid.
Wipe it down and dry it on an old towel.

If you want to Polish it, then use bees wax. Don't use anything like polish in a spray can.

Then oldish the frets with Autosomal chrome cleaner.

Edited by Grangur

Its a bass guitar, no need to be too prcecious about what kind of cloth you clean it with. As Grangur says, damp microfibre cloth(any old one will do - i use the same one I use to wipe down my kitchen worktops with), with a dab of fairy liquid. Be prepared to be disgusted by how much grime comes off! You will need to do it several times before you get the fretboard properl clean and obviously just use a different part of the cloth each time.
If the fretboard isnt lacquered then using ultrafine steelwool will shift the dirt much much easier and faster. Be aware though you will need to cover the body of the bass so none of the steelwool gets in to the electronics or pups. Using the steelwool also has the advantage that you can polish the frets at the same time. Afterwards, vacuum up the steelwool dust, wipe down with a damp cloth, dry the fretboard and then apply Danish oil.

Edited by dyerseve

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1486589543' post='3233133']
Except for the lemon oil. Danish oil sure, gunstock oil better, Dr Duck's. Axwax is cool.
No lemon oil on unlaquered maple please, it can leave unsightly stains.
[/quote]

yeah sorry guys, i only had one maple fretboard and I refinished it using Danish Oil. Ive now ammended my post above. So used to using Lemon Oil...

This mis what my fretboard looked like after I stripped the lacquer and applied Danish Oil:

[url="https://postimg.org/image/cfdwls28f/"][/url]

[url="https://postimg.org/image/d621dtf7z/"][/url]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1486693387' post='3233944']
I`ve used lemon oil on my maple fretboards for a good while now, can anyone advise why it shouldn`t be used on maple please?
[/quote]

If you put oil on any lacquered surface, it doesn't soak in it simply lays on the surface until you wipe it off.

You could argue that it's no different to using water on the surface in as much as it acts to help lift the dirt and helps the cloth to collect it. So you may as well use water and detergent, which is cheaper. Furthermore the lemon oil won't mix with detergent, so you can't use it with the oil as a cleaning agent.

I'm not saying it will do any harm. If you're happy to use it the same as wiping it over with a damp cloth, then that's your choice. It's more expensive than water, but some will say it smells nicer.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1486712133' post='3233968']
If you put oil on any lacquered surface, it doesn't soak in it simply lays on the surface until you wipe it off.

You could argue that it's no different to using water on the surface in as much as it acts to help lift the dirt and helps the cloth to collect it. So you may as well use water and detergent, which is cheaper. Furthermore the lemon oil won't mix with detergent, so you can't use it with the oil as a cleaning agent.

I'm not saying it will do any harm. If you're happy to use it the same as wiping it over with a damp cloth, then that's your choice. It's more expensive than water, but some will say it smells nicer.
[/quote]

I believe Lozz was referring to Bolo's comment above about using lemon oil on unlacquered maple fretboards. I am not sure why you wouldnt be able to use it on unlacquered maple fretboards TBH but then I have never tried it...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1486724141' post='3234078']
Being relatively rubbish at anything technical I don`t know if my fretboard is laquered or not. Aaaarrrrgggg!
[/quote]

Does it look like mine in the photos above or does it look like the rest of the neck on your bass which I presume is also maple. if the latter then it's lacquered, if the former, it is not lacquered

To see if the surface is lacquered you could try dragging your fingernail across the grain. If it catches on the grain then it's bare wood or oiled. If it slides across as if it's glass then it's almost certainly lacquered. Most Fender necks are lacquered AFAIK

Personally I'd be cautious about using water on a lacquered fingerboard, as the slightest crack in the finish will allow it seep in and affect the wood underneath. That would include all the fret slots, because you can't guarantee that the finish has sealed all the gaps - especially on a factory made mass-produced instrument. Something like white spirit would be a far safer option.

I dont want to be rude but what about sweat - that's about 99.95% water and fingerboards, lacquered or not are covered in the stuff by the end of a proper gig and if they can survive years of that treatment then a little bit of water in a crack whilst you clean the fretboard isnt going to do anything at all.

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1486746231' post='3234344']
I dont want to be rude but what about sweat - that's about 99.95% water and fingerboards, lacquered or not are covered in the stuff by the end of a proper gig and if they can survive years of that treatment then a little bit of water in a crack whilst you clean the fretboard isnt going to do anything at all.
[/quote]

Exactly. Nobody has suggested "washing it". Only use a damp cloth.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1486724141' post='3234078']
Being relatively rubbish at anything technical I don`t know if my fretboard is laquered or not. Aaaarrrrgggg!
[/quote]

It's pretty safe to say that if it's Maple it's lacquered/finished. Maple has to have a finish (unless it's baked) or it'll turn ugly very quickly. Satin Poly is often mistaken for natural due to to feel and the fact it's usually quite thin. As Rich says, don't use lemon oil on it.

Lemon oil and Danish oil are two very different products and not to be used interchangeably. Danish oil is a wiping varnish which dries and builds a film finish whereas lemon oil is just scented mineral oil so does neither.