Why become a member? ×

Source Audio Manta Bass Filter settings

lukeward2004

Hey Folks,

Ive been on here since 2007, but took a hiatus from music and this year made a resolution to get back into regular playing - hi!

Anyways - I its seems my GAS has returned and in a few short weeks I now have a pedalboard :) - the latest addition being a B3K and the Manta filter.

So - im finding there are such a huge array of tones in this thing, im getting lost! I record a fair bit these days and finding a usable filter that doesnt disappear in the mix is hard, but more importantly im trying to find that traditional funky filter type sound that works with my Active basses - specifically a Warwick SS2 & PNut Sig (both 5ers).

Lets get this thing started, and share some of our favourite filter tones from this little monster!

Thanks in advance!

I took me quite some time, and I still did not manage to dial in a fully oldschool filter tone on the Manta. Despite it's endless possibilities it just doesn't seem to be designed for these tones...
However, the Soundblox patches can be saved and shared! Some YT guy gave me a reasonably good starting point. You can check out me and his comments below this video: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lRi-ErFkyc&lc=z13ftbpbgq3xf3vj504citngczbqjjiymhc.1485949319873401"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lRi-ErFkyc&lc=z13ftbpbgq3xf3vj504citngczbqjjiymhc.1485949319873401[/url]

This settings thread didn't get much mileage did it!

I do like my Manta for some more unusual sounds but agree with what's been said. Hard to beat a Mr Black Fwonkbeta for filthy squelch, and the MXR sounds great too, especially for slap.

There's also a new version of the Emma Discumbobulator out and a new mini filter coming from Mu-Fx. Robotalk looks cool too though.

http://youtu.be/wnrl3gkAbGs

Edited by dannybuoy

• 7 months later...

[quote name='lukeward2004' timestamp='1486897790' post='3235293']
Thanks folks, think I may have to sell up and go for something different - quite fancy the robotalk 2 if im honest, more usable for me than the manta right now.
[/quote]

Hi Lukeward, so it seems like you've had and kept the Robotalk 2 for over six months now? A keeper as far as your concerned and better suited to your sound than the Manta? Be really interested to hear a bit rmore from you on what you think about the pedal (and also whether you've come across / considered the 3Leaf Wonderlove / Proton)? Anyone else with experience of these, please do chip in!

I found the robotalk very usable. Delicious sounding filter. Very quacky with blend. It was only the size that kicked it off the board. If I found another one at a good price I'd consider it. I never got on with the proton. No clean is a killer when in a mix. The manta has no threshold so was difficult to dial in with different basses and just never sounded as fat as I'd like. The mxr bef is the one for me tho. Sounds exactly like the tone in my head with all settings at noon. done

Cheers Gisser - and lack of clean blend on the Proton is a really good point. Actually the MXR was also my starting point and it's a compact little unit. My aim is to run the filter into a COG T16 octave pedal to get a great sounding synth octave bass. Cameron came up with some really useful points about the MXR relating (on another thread) - dunno if these ring true for you, too? Be interested to get your take on it.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1505394710' post='3371595']
One of the reasons I got rid of my MXR Bass Envelope Filter was that it's bandpass and therefore isn't anywhere near as thick a sound as I like, particularly when running octave pedals.
[/quote]

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1505410025' post='3371754']
Also, IMO you can get the Manta to sound like the MXR but there are so many sounds in the Manta that you'll never have a hope of replicating with the BEF alone. As far as pure bang for your buck I have to say Source Audio really nail it. There's a reason they have such a huge thread over on Talkbass - a lot of folk over there run purely (or mostly) SA boards with the hub and a MIDI switcher to give them access to literally hundreds of tonal combinations.
[/quote]

Actually, running the MXR before the T16 and turning the clean blend up on the T16 would give you some of the nice filter quack in the top and midrange whilst retaining all the lows the T16 would naturally put out. Could be a nice tone to be had there and would certainly help the T16 cut through a mix better.

[quote name='CameronJ' timestamp='1505558832' post='3372803']
Actually, running the MXR before the T16 and turning the clean blend up on the T16 would give you some of the nice filter quack in the top and midrange whilst retaining all the lows the T16 would naturally put out. Could be a nice tone to be had there and would certainly help the T16 cut through a mix better.
[/quote]

Ok cheers Cameron - that's exactly how I was thinking of using it in the chain. In which case looks like I've come full circle and should go for the MXR as my first choice and try out the SA Manta separately. That would certainly seem to chime with Gisser's and other's comments on this thread. Ok in which case I need to keep my eyes peeled for an MXR BEF!

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='GisserD' timestamp='1505545919' post='3372667']
The manta has no threshold so was difficult to dial in with different basses and just never sounded as fat as I'd like.
[/quote]

True, the lack of threshold could be an issue for certain basses. I only tend to use it with one of mine so I hadn't actually noticed the lack of threshold control until you said it! And I do agree to an extent re: fatness. My analog filters are much fatter but the Manta does nice things to the highs and mids which make it react in a lovely way with my Bass Chorus Deluxe running after it in crossover mode.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]@ Cameron, but I think you're very much of the view that it's possible to get the 70s funky squelch and quack from the Manta, but that there is a learning curve involved? That's fine by me. The Manta, like the MXR, also has a clean blend, unlike the e.g. the Proton - which is a key reason, other than the ridiculous price for 3Leaf pedals (and DG pedals too whilst I'm having a rant about overpriced pedals!), it's coming off my shortlist.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]In terms of fatness to the sound, well that's going to be a big part of the what the analogue COG T16 is going to be doing with it's tight clean octave down, so that shouldn't be an issue for me.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Looks like I'm clearly going to have to get my hands on a Manta and a MXR and try them both out! :)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ed Friedland is playing an an MXR Octave into an [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]MXR BEF (that way around) [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]at the end of this clip and, personally I think it's a great sound - let me know if you agree? See 7.00 in: [/font][/color]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opKs5ZGqVpg

this is the clip that sold me on the BEF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3egAg0lqzI

i personally have always loved the Nick Daniels tone. The thing i love about the MXR is it adds a great funky filter tone to the tone of a great bass. It does not define the tone itself. Horses for courses i suppose

[quote name='GisserD' timestamp='1505574756' post='3372954']
this is the clip that sold me on the BEF [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3egAg0lqzI"]https://www.youtube....h?v=j3egAg0lqzI[/url] I personally have always loved the Nick Daniels tone. The thing i love about the MXR is it adds a great funky filter tone to the tone of a great bass. It does not define the tone itself. Horses for courses i suppose
[/quote]

A great clip, thanks (they are two awesome bass players). And I think I know what you're saying: it's kinda along the lines of the greater authenticity of bass tone that analogue gives compared to digital. Set against that the versatility of a really good digital pedal.

Which is why I've gone for analogue for the three dedicated pedals on my board(overdrive, compression and octave), which are augmented by a digital multi-fx for cab sim plus all the other sounds I might occasionally want to tap into (in my case mainly tremolo, delay and chorus).

I am very torn between the MXR and the Manta and I can totally see plusses for each. I'm just gonna have to get hold of both and try them out, aren't I?!

Just had a mate send me a link to a (second hand) Aguilar Filter Twin. These are quite a bit more than the MXR new (£216 vs £145 from Andertons), are they worth the extra? Anyone got an Aggie Filter Twin and really likes or had both and can compare?

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1505643721' post='3373278']
Just had a mate send me a link to a (second hand) Aguilar Filter Twin. These are quite a bit more than the MXR new (£216 vs £145 from Andertons), are they worth the extra? Anyone got an Aggie Filter Twin and really likes or had both and can compare?
[/quote]

Again, Cameron is the man to ask.