Why become a member? ×

Thunderbirds!

Pinball

Hi, I have a drummer buddy who has always fancied playing bass and has a craving for a Thunderbird. He's just waiting to start a new job in the summer and getting the money together to pull the trigger

He was looking at Epiphones and is now wondering it it may be better to save up and get a used Gibson. I mentioned that there are other fine used verions such as greco and Tokai but to be honest I don't know much about them.

Any recommendations of what to look out for on the used market?

The high end Epiphones are through neck with Gibson pickups so that would be a good start. Equally T-birds don't hold as high a resale value as Fender so you can get bargains out there. Personally I'd go with the Epiphone. The Tokai ones I tried all weighed an absolute tonne and they are a light bass.

As I have said many times before, the various different Thunderbird models available from Gibson, Epiphone and others have very little in common with each other except for the basic body shape. They vary considerably in construction, woods, electronics and hardware. Because of this, just because you like one version doesn't mean you'll like any of the others.

My advice would be to go and play as many different ones as he can, and see what suits him the best.

Having said that, there is a new Epiphone model coming out later this year which appears to be the best attempt yet to get close to the original 1960s Gibson version (if that is important to him).

Edited by BigRedX

Thanks all, that's lots of great advice to pass on. I love the wasy the BC community respond and share info.

Personally I never really hankered after a "bird" but remember watching a clip of someone playing Greco on here and thinking that it would be great fun. A tribute to the player as well as the instrument

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1486508666' post='3232432']
Having said that, there is a new Epiphone model coming out later this year which appears to be the best attempt yet to get close to the original 1960s Gibson version (if that is important to him).
[/quote]

I will be interested to hear how this new/old one plays

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1486512379' post='3232464']
That does sound interesting, I prefer the older brighter sounding pickups!

[/quote]

This is the version they have in Japan. It would be great if they did a non-reverse TB II (with the single pickup), in this style as well.

I do love the bridge on that new Epi...mine's almost, almost there:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:234381]

Actually, looking at it more closely, I couldn't have a two-piece bridge: the saddles are too far forward on mine. Ah well, I'll have to struggle on... :)

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1486586411' post='3233091']

Actually, looking at it more closely, I couldn't have a two-piece bridge: the saddles are too far forward on mine. Ah well, I'll have to struggle on... :)
[/quote]

Niceeeeee!

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1486586411' post='3233091']

[/quote]

With that maple neck and all that shiney chrome.... OooErr! If that was a fiver I would be robbing a bank to find the funds to make you an offer.
Luckily for my local branch of Natwest though I don't really do 4 strings.

I've just seen this thread. Those EPIs look cool! I have owned both in the past and although they look the same they do play differently and don't have the same sound. I also found the EPI finish on the frets and neck not that great, I'd be interested to play one of these newer ones to compare.

My USA Gibson Thunderbird is up for sale if anyone is interested btw....... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/300150-gibson-usa-thunderbird-hipshot-supertone-original-bridge/"]http://basschat.co.u...riginal-bridge/[/url]

Edited by jimbartlett

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1486592876' post='3233181']
You need arms like an orangutan to play a Thunderbird!
[/quote]

This is a very good point - don't know how tall your friend is, but there is something about the way long-scale Gibson-style basses sit that puts the 12th fret a lot further out than it would be on a Fender. Consequently, first-position playing either requires you to hang the bass really low on the strap, or be blessed with long arms!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1486512379' post='3232464']
That does sound interesting, I prefer the older brighter sounding pickups!

[/quote]

I've been thinking about this a lot, being a fan of the old-style Thunderbirds. Epiphone could be onto a winner here, but I really, really hope they get it right - proper headstock, correct pickup placement. Hopefully they won't just use the current Classic Pro and add the different hardware.
It wouldn't be a disaster if they did - and I'd still probably buy one - but this is a real opportunity to put out an authentic 60s Thunderbird and I hope they don't mess up.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1486492592' post='3232269']
Hi, I have a drummer buddy who has always fancied playing bass and has a craving for a Thunderbird. He's just waiting to start a new job in the summer and getting the money together to pull the trigger

He was looking at Epiphones and is now wondering it it may be better to save up and get a used Gibson. I mentioned that there are other fine used verions such as greco and Tokai but to be honest I don't know much about them.

Any recommendations of what to look out for on the used market?
[/quote]

I traded up from an Epi Bird to a 1991 Gibson Thunderbird. Huge difference, I'd say save up for the Gibson.

Don't get hung up on whatever this mythical problem called " neck dive ". I've never experienced it.

Blue

Edited by blue