Why become a member? ×

Thunderbirds!

Pinball

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1486505264' post='3232407']
NancyJohnson is your resident T-Bird expert...I'm sure he'll be along to point you in the right direction
[/quote]

Ahoy-hoy.

If you want my opinion on these things, source a Gibson and put a Babicz FCH bridge on it and you'll have a killer bass. Forget about all these people moaning about neck dive (whatever that is); you generally play with two hands on the bass, so for me it's never been an issue.

If you can spot one of the recent non-reverse Thunderbirds, I'd try and land it. It is a decent bass (put a Babicz on it), but it's as different to the reverse model as a Precision is to a Jazz. I sold mine to Gus...I do wish I still had it.

On the Epiphone front, work permitting, I will pick up one of the new Epiphones mid-year. It's a great shame that Gibson have dropped the legacy basses this year as the new Epiphone is the reissue they should have done.

On the other models, I really can't advise on the low end stuff like the Tokai. Sorry. I own an ultra rare Hamer FBIV (there's only a handful of these left) and the pride of my basses, a Mike Lull JAXT4.

Some years ago I posted to this forum that Thunderbirds were like magic. I'm a slightly overweight guy in my 40s and when I use a Thunderbird live, I'm the skinny kid I was three decades ago. It's a wonderful thing. It doesn't matter where I play, no one is ever interested in the other band's bass players Precisions or Jazzes, it's always, 'Ooh, I love Thunderbirds.'

That new Vintage Pro Epiphone looks great. I love the 60's chrome pick-up covers and if they are half decent I'd buy one. I'd love an old 64 Gibson T'bird or even a Bicentennial 76 one, with chrome pickups but they so many have neck/headstock repairs and they are very pricey. Later Gibsons 90's onwards etc can be found for very reasonable money.

I have owned four Thunderbirds, started out with a cheap Epiphone with bolt on neck which was great for the money (about £230), having got a taste for them I then acquired three Gibsons, which were considerably better, two sunburst and one white.

I would generally go for a Gibson over an Epiphone, but the new Epiphone through neck Pros with USA pickups are excellent for the money.

Fingers crossed this new Vintage Pro Epi has good pickups in the right position an good quality control.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1486669341' post='3233748']

I'm not big on Epi Birds, however they do look pretty nice.

Blue
[/quote]

The old bolt-on Epis are a totally different animal to the new Classic Pros, which use the same materials, construction and pickups as the Gibson. They are so good that Gibson just gave up making Thunderbirds altogether!

Bleedin-eck, somebody slap me!

I began asking advice for someone else and have now ended up buying a Thunderbird myself.

I thought I was safe as they were 4 stringers but I have a Epiphone Pro-V, 5 stringer is incoming.

Thunderbirds are go!

[attachment=238314:$_90.JPG]

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1487672008' post='3241618']
I want a thunderbird but after playing an epi one at PMT yesterday I found it hard to get on with given the neck being so long.

Is there a company that do Thunderbirds on the cheap that address this?
[/quote]

Where was the neck strap button on the Thunderbird that you tried?

IME you just need to go and try them all. Although they look basically the same, every version and model is different and will sit/hang in a different way when playing.

I want a thunderbird but after playing an epi one at PMT yesterday I found it hard to get on with given the neck being so long.
[/quote]

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the 5 stringer (Pro V) balances really well. It is a very light bass

[/quote]

This doesn't really make a lot of sense.

At 34", the scale length is comparable/the same as that of a Jazz/Precision. OK, sure the body shape might add to the illusion that the neck keeps going, but it doesn't!

Just check Google for photos of Fenderbirds...lots of Thunderbird bodies with Fender necks on them.

I've had a few Fenderbirds (and Thunderbirds), and they're a long bass (not the neck specifically, just the shape overall) and not the most ergonomically perfect - it kinda depends on your playing style and how you hold a bass. I've handed mine to people at jam nights and they've looked a bit flummoxed, to be honest :D

I love them, though... :)

Looking at those new Epi models, I don't see a strap button in the usual 'pointless neck dive inducing' position, so maybe that's finally a thing from the factory...

It's easy enough to negate the neck dive with a button move....

Ebony is my favourite colours on a Thunderbird. I searched for ages to get my Gibson in Ebony. So really looking forward to trying one of these new Epiphones.

As for the Tokai, I had one years ago. I'd say it's better that the bolt on neck Epiphone as I had a few of them over the years. Not a patch on the Gibson. My Tokai wasn't too heavy and it played/sounded great. The bridge is much better but like has already been said you can replace it. Gibson have done so anyway with a Babicz and I replaced mine with a Hipshot.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1486502539' post='3232382']
The high end Epiphones are through neck with Gibson pickups so that would be a good start. Equally T-birds don't hold as high a resale value as Fender so you can get bargains out there. Personally I'd go with the Epiphone. The Tokai ones I tried all weighed an absolute tonne and they are a light bass.
[/quote]I had the Epiphone it was a lovely bass but mine was bloody heavy so had to go I miss it sometimes as it sounded awesome

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1487935516' post='3244282']
Neck dive.Inherently unbalanced design, when you strap it on the headstock decides it wants to touch the floor.
[/quote]

I have never had a problem with neck dive on my T'birds.

I sometimes loop my strap over the body, which holds the head/neck at any angle you want all day long.

I got an epiphone thunderbird pro classic, the one that is supposed to be most like the gibson, and I was expecting huge neck dive as thats what people always said. So I was quite surprised when there wasn't any, or at least no worse than a jazz bass or something.
Although the neck really feels long!