Why become a member? ×

Low Tension Flats on a Fretless?

Pinball

Hi, I need to change strings on my fretless Stingray 5 and am wondering which way to go. I was using Status Half's which aren't curtrently available and I like Chromes but am thinking of giving La Bella low tension flats a go. I'm not sure how they will work on a fretless though
Any one out there have any experience of them? Am I just over thinking this?

The string tensions are:
B: 28.3lbs
E: 34.2
A: 30.5
D: 34
G: 36.2

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1486497625' post='3232330']
I'd give them a try.. if you like the results, by definition they're great!
I have different strings on different fretlesses for different results.
[/quote]

I guess that is the only sure way as to some extent it's down to personal taste...I thought I would try and get some feedback before I start snipping them..strings seem to be expensive these days

I have used both Chromes and TI flats on my fretless. Both seem to work fine to my way of thinking. The cheap way to find out is wait until s/h sets appear on BC. Being flats they last a lifetime - I have one set at 8+ years, nicely broken in now :)

I had Labella low tension flats on a fretless P. Felt and sounded fantastic. I imagine they would be just as good on a Ray. No experience with the LTLF B string though.
Edit: it's worth mentioning that I only don't use them now as I tune my fretless to low C natural. If I needed regular EADG tuning they would still be my string of choice.

Edited by miles'tone

I had used TI jazz flats on fretless before and was happy with them. Tried them on my Overwater fretless and didn't like the tone. Put a set of Labella flats on that bass and the tone just exploded it was so good. Some strings will suit some basses more than others but there is only one way to find out. I'd give them a go.