Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz Streamliner no sound

steviedee

I started rehearsing tonight and my Streamliner just faded out and now has no volume. The lights go on, looks fine but no sound. I'm a bit flummoxed, could it be valves or fuses? Any ideas much appreciated. Additionally, I've gone and sold me back up amp!

I'd swap out the valves one at a time until you find the culprit. If that doesn't diagnose it, then it probably needs a stern looking at!
Actually, you could also try plugging into the effects return and see if you get any sound out. If you do, it's most likely something in the preamp, where all the valves live. In fact do this first. Will save you opening it up - if the power stage isn't working, it's off to amp hospital with it :(

Edited by MoonBassAlpha

Before you launch into swapping valves it would be wise to power the amp up with speaker connected and with your ear close to the speaker can you hear any gentle hiss noise? This will at least determine if the audio power stage of the amp plus everything downstream of that is working. If you can't hear any hiss noise then check the speaker and associated wiring first.

[quote name='whizzzy' timestamp='1486552212' post='3232645']
If you can't hear any hiss noise then check the speaker and associated wiring first.
[/quote]

Hi Whizzzy thanks for that, i didn't hear any audible hiss but I'm pretty deaf! I did put a set of cans into the headphone out and nothing, I dunno if that helps with the diagnosis.

[quote name='whizzzy' timestamp='1486555856' post='3232693']
Well if you can't hear anything, even through headphones then it sounds like a problem in the power output stage or power supply section and will warrant a more thorough diagnosis.

Have you checked all of the fuses?
[/quote]
Wouldn't the headphone feed be tapped off before the power stage though?

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1486560542' post='3232762']
Wouldn't the headphone feed be tapped off before the power stage though?
[/quote]
Hard to say without having access the the schematic diagram of the amp. The conventional approach for headphone internal connection though is across the speaker output but with a resistance in series to attenuate the signal level going out to the headphones.