Why become a member? ×

Is the Barefaced big baby 2 the best small cab?

Prince_phil

Hi

Im looking to buy a single cab to use for most of the gigs I do and from what Ive read the Big baby 2 seems to have a good combination of size/weight/freq response. Is there anything else that I should consider? I dont really want to spend more than a BB2 would cost and it seems that for the moment Barefaced seem to have the edge over the other brands- but Ive obviously not tried much! Im tempted to just order one and take advantage of their returns policy if I dont get on with it.
I play 4/5 string passive jazz basses/electric upright/synth bass and use a markbass LM2. Music varies from funk/soul/hiphop to bluegrass..
Thanks for any advice!

Phil

Stand by for lots of pro and anti opinions and suggestions. ;) The best thing you can do is try one. Personally I like barefaced cabs a lot. Some people don't. But then some people have actually tried them and others haven't. Good luck.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1486546611' post='3232581']
Stand by for lots of pro and anti opinions and suggestions. ;) The best thing you can do is try one. Personally I like barefaced cabs a lot. Some people don't. But then some people have actually tried them and others haven't. Good luck.
[/quote]

Pretty much spot on. The only way you'll know is if you try one.

Other brands are available... good cabs are also made by Markbass, Bergantino, and on and on. I like Markbass cabs very much too... when a Barefaced isn't available. ;) But don't read too much into the specs and certainly don't take them as gospel - what counts is how a cab performs in the real world. Having said that, Barefaced specs tend to be a little less, er... [i]cavalier with the truth [/i]than some brands can be...

The Barefaced must be up there in the list of cabs to check. If you want 1 small cab that will cover most gigs, it's going to be a short list.

IME they are one of the few 112 cabs that can compete in tone and volume with a 212 cab.

I used a BB2 and found I preferred the Super Compact. BF replaced my Bergantino cabs. I can run 1 SC but I would never have run 1 Berg. I always needed 2. My loud rig was 3 Berg 112 cabs, now my loud rig is 2 SC's.

IME the BF's are the only small cab that I'd gig on its own and even then I still run 2 SC's. I just prefer the sound of 2 cabs.

If you expand your plan to run 2 112 cabs the list becomes longer.

The BB2 should definitely be on your to-try list - I'd look at some of the offerings from Bergantino & TKS too.

By try I mean actually, physically go somewhere & try them, specs are pretty much meaningless if you're trying to discern tone which is an important factor IMO.

No experience with the BBII. I have recently moved from a Super Compact and Midget setup and they were very good cabs. They are not magic, though, and a BBII or a SC alone will not replace a 2 x 112 setup. The cab I replaced my 2 with (Berg CN212) seems to be around the same kind of volume (perhaps a little louder, actually), but I would say the Berg 112 I had before the Barefaced setup was not quite as 'big' sounding as the SC. The build quality of the bergs feels somewhat better, for sure, if that kind of thing bothers you.

I wouldn't say there are any 2 way 1x12 cabs on the market that would be louder and deeper than a BBII on my experience with the SC, but again don't expect it to compete with a good 2x12 setup.

Edited by Kev

I've only played through the BB2 once (and heard it used a couple more times) but it might work out quite well for your purposes as the upper mid and high end response is very clear and even. It seems like the two-way design has been done very effectively, rather than a typical bass cab tweeter that just adds a bit of zing on the top. It might not be my first choice of voicing for bass guitar, although EQ can get it there, but it would probably work in your favour for the EUB and synth use.
I'm sure there are some others that will do the job, but I'm less familiar with them.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Schroeder also make some very good cabs. They tend to have something of a Marmite reputation and can be a little quirky, but if one happens to suit your purpose then nothing else will come close. I still miss mine, especially the 1212L, which I stupidly sold. :rolleyes:

Difficult to try though, unless you can find someone in your area who would be willing to let you have a go.

Edited by discreet

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1486556049' post='3232698']
don't expect it to compete with a good 2x12 setup.
[/quote]

In my experience with cabs having owned quite a few different configurations that there is nothing special or magic about having multiple drivers, multiple cabs or even both. Conversely there is nothing intrinsically limiting about having "only a 112" - if its loud enough to do the job then you not missing out on any magic by not using more speakers/cabs.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1486556966' post='3232713']
...there is nothing special or magic about having multiple drivers, multiple cabs or even both. Conversely there is nothing intrinsically limiting about having "only a 112" - if its loud enough to do the job then you not missing out on any magic by not using more speakers/cabs.
[/quote]

I also find that two 112 cabs (for example) make the sound somehow 'bigger', even at a comparable volume level. However I'm prepared to accept that this may be because the top cab is now nearer my ear-holes and can be heard better, or at least differently.

Cheers- Ive just been offered a good deal on a used BB2 so might go with that! I do need a full range cab for the synth and EUB so it might do the job! Has anyone any experience with the new Markbass 1x12? Im sure its good but the specs (SPL and freq response) arent quite as good as the BB2!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1486557332' post='3232717']
I also find that two 112 cabs (for example) make the sound somehow 'bigger', even at a comparable volume level. However I'm prepared to accept that this may be because the top cab is now nearer my ear-holes and can be heard better, or at least differently.
[/quote]

Possibly, also you have two sound sources instead of one, and your ear is offset from both cabs at different angles so its possible your hearing phase and filtering artefacts. Not something that going to make any difference once you get a couple of meters away from your cabs though.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1486556966' post='3232713']
In my experience with cabs having owned quite a few different configurations that there is nothing special or magic about having multiple drivers, multiple cabs or even both. Conversely there is nothing intrinsically limiting about having "only a 112" - if its loud enough to do the job then you not missing out on any magic by not using more speakers/cabs.
[/quote]

Absolutely, if its loud enough as it is then why increase drivers?! :)

I was just making the point that in my experience an SC alone can't compete for volume or low end with a Berg 2x12 setup and I have not found a 1x12 that can. I guess the BBII wont be that significant a step-up from an SC in that regard.

The SC though was very loud and louder than any other 112 I have owned :)

Edited by Kev

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1486548666' post='3232600']
The Barefaced must be up there in the list of cabs to check. If you want 1 small cab that will cover most gigs, it's going to be a short list.

I used a BB2 and found I preferred the Super Compact. BF replaced my Bergantino cabs. I can run 1 SC but I would never have run 1 Berg. I always needed 2. My loud rig was 3 Berg 112 cabs, now my loud rig is 2 SC's.
[/quote]

Another satisfied SC user is Ross Saunders of Manran...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttRDWv6VK6I

I am playing my jazzbass through a LMIII and a Van der Kleij 112ext. and am very happy with that combination. Check out Scott Devine for an impression of this gear.
But obviously the best way is to try them out. But having said this.....the cabs will sound different depending on the venue.

[quote name='Prince_phil' timestamp='1486557549' post='3232722'] Cheers- Ive just been offered a good deal on a used BB2 so might go with that! I do need a full range cab for the synth and EUB so it might do the job! Has anyone any experience with the new Markbass 1x12? Im sure its good but the specs (SPL and freq response) arent quite as good as the BB2! [/quote]

If you need full range, take a look at the F210 in the for sale section.

EDIT. Just noticed that cab is now sold.

Edited by TPJ

[quote] "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]but Ive obviously not tried much! " [/quote][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]There's your answer. Head for somewhere like BassDirect, take your bass head with you and see what resonates best with you. I've owned a Barefaced and well... I support the idea but one should try a variety of different cabinets that suit their tastes first. :) [/font][/color]

Edited by ChunkyMunky

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1486548666' post='3232600']
I used a BB2 and found I preferred the Super Compact.
[/quote]

Intriguing... does the Super Compact sound much different to the BB2 with the tweeter off?

I'm very pleased with my SC but sometimes wonder if I should have bought a BB2.

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1486640843' post='3233429']
Intriguing... does the Super Compact sound much different to the BB2 with the tweeter off?
[/quote]

The BB2 is a bigger cab so goes lower and bigger.The SC has a less big low end. Pretty much how Alex describes them on the BF site.

I prefer low mids and my previous cab was a Beg CN212 which has very tight lows. The sudden jump to a [i]big[/i] low end in the BB2 was not what I wanted. If you're coming from any other cabs you probably won't think the BB2 is too big down there. I have a PJ5 with flats and a full, fat amp. This could all get out of control if it wasn't tamed by the SC's, so they are perfect for me.

Edited by chris_b

It's certainly one of the best small cabs.. The rest is down to a complete list of other factors... Personally I don't like single 12's, and use either a BF supertwin by itself, or a compact/S12 stack.. But as other folk have suggested that may be about getting the speakers closer to my earline..

Im based in Edinburgh so most of the music shops around here just stock the standard stuff so id have to travel quite far to try the more boutique brands.. I think Il take a punt on the BB2 and see how I get on.
Interesting that some folks say the BB2 has too much low end! Coming from an electronic music background Im sure that won't be a problem.. IME a lot of smaller bass cabs tend to be quite midrangy so having some proper low end would be great.