Why become a member? ×

Daddario Flexsteels - question about flexibility/feel of these

markdavid

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Hi[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Have been very curious about the Flexsteels as the consensus seems to be that they are a fairly bright string but with more mids than Prosteels.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Have currently got a set of 100-45 Prosteels on my main bass and have ordered the 105-45 gauge set of Flexsteels as my concern was that going lighter than that may give more fret rattle on the E string. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]I have done a comparison of tension of the Prosteels 100-45 vs Flexsteels 105-45 using the information on the Daddario website and the Flexsteels seems to be about 4ib more tension overall, my question is for people who have used both , how does the flexibility of the Flexsteels compare to Prosteels?[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Also is anyone able to comment on the feel of these compared to Prosteels or Rotosound RS66 ? I know these are supposed to be on the rougher side of the spectrum being stainless steel , Prosteels and Rotosound are fine but not sure I want to go any rougher than that[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Thanks[/size][/font][/color]

I've done it. The feel is pretty much the same so is the rough feeling in the fingers in the first hours of playing. I didn't had to mess with action or truss on my basses and i didn't felt any difference in tension.
I came back to Prosteels in the end as i felt that the extra zing of the Flexsteels was too much for my basses wich are already much bright and open sounding. I felt that the Prosteels sounded "flatter" and more musical to my ears.

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1486575934' post='3232965']
drats , just found out they have been discontinued, am hoping I dont get on with them now as it could be frustrating trying to get hold of them in future , wish I had gone with the usual Prosteels now
[/quote]

Where did you hear that? I'm not sure that's true!

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1486575934' post='3232965']
drats , just found out they have been discontinued, am hoping I dont get on with them now as it could be frustrating trying to get hold of them in future , wish I had gone with the usual Prosteels now
[/quote]

I think I have an unopened set here if you're struggling to get them elsewhere!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1487092749' post='3237002']
I think I have an unopened set here if you're struggling to get them elsewhere!
[/quote] Thanks for the offer , I have gone with Fender 7250 which is my usual favourite as being able to consistently get hold of particular string sets is important to me (after all no-one wants to find after a while they cant get hold of their preferred strings)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1486683289' post='3233906']
have heard it from a few sources, maybe Daddario can confirm if this is true or not (i know they are active on this forum)
[/quote]
[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1486732287' post='3234180']
You are correct, they have been discontinued.
[/quote]

GULP!!!!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1487887993' post='3244001']
Wow. Definitely the best feeling and sounding strings of yours I used. Why?
[/quote]

The FlexSteels have been replaced in the range by NYXL Bass. We're always looking at our product range to ensure that the lineup makes sense to our consumers, for those who liked FlexSteels we recommend moving to NYXL Bass. I recognise they have a somewhat different sound but are the brightest of our nickel strings and on account of them being a similar build to FlexSteels they will feel very familiar to FlexSteels players.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1488208512' post='3246783']
(...) We're always looking at our product range to ensure that the lineup makes sense to our consumers (...)
[/quote]

In all honesty, being a Prosteels user practicly since they were released, i didn't find that the Flexsteels brought that much to the table to justify keeping both ranges. They were too similar, for me, and that extra little bit of zing from the Flex's just didn't justify spending the extra money. I also prefered the core tone of the Pro's, the highs are more balanced with the rest of the tones.