Why become a member? ×

Markbass Traveler 102P as a standalone?

Greg.Bassman

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Hi all. For transportation and health purposes (my back! lol), I was hoping to ditch my 410, in favour of a 210. How does the [/color][color=#000000]‘[/color][color=#000000]Traveler 102P[/color][color=#000000]’ [/color][color=#000000]fare as a standalone?[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Bars to butlins stages, all our shows have PA support, so the 102 will be used solely for self-monitoring purposes. I[/color][color=#000000]’[/color][color=#000000]ll be pairing it with my Little Mark III. I always stand within close proximity of my cab and us the Mark Stand to tilt it slightly up toward me.[/color] [color=#000000]I have read many good things about the traveller 102P players[/color] [color=#000000]describing[/color] [color=#000000]it as [/color][color=#000000]‘[/color][color=#000000]Deceptively loud[/color][color=#000000]’ [/color][color=#000000]with a [/color][color=#000000]‘[/color][color=#000000]nice controlled low [/color][color=#000000]end[/color][color=#000000]’[/color][color=#000000]-[/color][color=#000000] b[/color][color=#000000]u[/color][color=#000000]t I wanted to hear what my fellow basschatters make of it all? anybody else using this set-up?[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]*Please note* For cost and transportation purposes, I have no intention of expanding the rig past the one cab; so I[/color][color=#000000]’[/color][color=#000000]m thinking the 4Ohm version would be the appropriate choice here, just so I get the most out of my LMIII.[/color][/font][/size]

Edited by Greg.Bassman

I owned a pair of these cabs a number of years ago and I'd say one would cover your gigs with PA support. I really like them - not as much low end as some cabs but overall, a very nice sounding cab.

I would buy an 8ohm cab though. I don't think you'd hear much if any difference with a 4ohm cab. Plus, the chances are that the 4ohm cab couldn't handle the increased power anyway.

I hope this helps.

Frank.

[quote name='dave74200' timestamp='1486588820' post='3233126']
I'd have to say no. I'd go for a barefaced 2x12 or similar. There's a massive difference in sound and still a one hand pick up. Also, barefaced compacts can be picked up reasonably and also sound massive.
[/quote]

Hi dave. Thanks for the recommendation. I believe they are front ported, right; perhaps [i]this[/i] is what makes them stand out. That said, perhaps the Markbass standard 102hf (front-ported) is to be considered also then. Anybody out there that with experience of the 102hf?

Edited by Greg.Bassman

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1486608119' post='3233261']
I used the 102HF Std for quite some time with numerous bands including a heavy, downtuned rock band on some large stages with a *very* loud drummer, and it held up admirably. Certainly no shortage of low end.
[/quote]

Hi jus lukin. Thanks for your response. That's great, definitely reassuring!

I've used that exact same rig.
Loved it.
It isn't loud, it's ridiculously loud for its size and weight. I never got anywhere near half way on the volume dial.
But....I can't see it doing the likes of the stage at butlins etc.
I found it a very directional sound. It certainly wasn't a stage filler, even though it was loud when you were near it.
Pubs and small clubs, yes, but anything bigger and you could be in trouble.
Its also difficult to hear as its only really knee height and slim.

Full disclosure - I have one in the for sale section at the moment. I'm honestly not trying to push it!

If you just want it for monitoring purposes and you're going through the PA for FOH then I'd suggest you'd have no problems with it. I have one which I've used in rehearsals with fairly loud drums and guitars, and I had no problems getting heard with just a GK MB200 driving it and the gain on about 12 to 1 o'clock. The only time I struggled with that combination was the last time I used it with my last band, in a very small rehearsal room with two guitarists both running 100w 2x12 combos - and they were running them (too) hard. I use earplugs, and even then the volume was far too much for me - I actually quit that night on that basis.

Are you using Markbass cabs now? I'd say the 102P has a similar "signature" sound - quite mid prominent - though you'll get less lows. The bass is pretty tight to my ears, so quite a defined sound. I've not experienced the issues some people have with the tweeter being hissy.

I sometimes had a bit of difficulty getting a sound I was completely happy with when using a P bass, which I put down to the P being mid prominent, and me being a bit inexperienced. I did get a great (to me) sound with a Jazz.

I use a markbass blackline 250 with the 102P 4 ohm cab and no FoH suppport. Its plenty loud enough for anything classed as a pub gig. Last night I played a social club which I guess would seat 300 people and the amp was set about no 3. We are a 5 piece rock outfit with a reasonably loud drummer who is not mic'd. I think the set up is stupidly loud considering, and I love the sound (though some won't)

I used to have the 102P combo, which was basically a 102 STD with an LMII popped into it. It never lacked lows or decibels.
I'd opt for the 8 ohm if you can, as it would allow you to add a 2nd if you ever felt you needed to. 4 ohm doesn't give much of an increase in decibels & only puts a bit more wear on your amp's components.

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1486732440' post='3234184']
Full disclosure - I have one in the for sale section at the moment. I'm honestly not trying to push it!

If you just want it for monitoring purposes and you're going through the PA for FOH then I'd suggest you'd have no problems with it. I have one which I've used in rehearsals with fairly loud drums and guitars, and I had no problems getting heard with just a GK MB200 driving it and the gain on about 12 to 1 o'clock. The only time I struggled with that combination was the last time I used it with my last band, in a very small rehearsal room with two guitarists both running 100w 2x12 combos - and they were running them (too) hard. I use earplugs, and even then the volume was far too much for me - I actually quit that night on that basis.

Are you using Markbass cabs now? I'd say the 102P has a similar "signature" sound - quite mid prominent - though you'll get less lows. The bass is pretty tight to my ears, so quite a defined sound. I've not experienced the issues some people have with the tweeter being hissy.

I sometimes had a bit of difficulty getting a sound I was completely happy with when using a P bass, which I put down to the P being mid prominent, and me being a bit inexperienced. I did get a great (to me) sound with a Jazz.
[/quote]Tweeters are not hissy, amps are. Hiss is the sound of an amp that uses cheap Opamps and carbon resistors.

I use the 102P, and the 151P paired with the LM2 head. Bass is usually my old Ibanez RS924, and I have a graphic on the floor. In a one cab situation, I find the 102 doesn't give me the warm bottom end sound I'm after. Probably due to the frequency response being slightly lower, or the cab being slightly larger. So I always opt for the 151. Also, I don't use the tweeters, way too hissy!