Why become a member? ×

Looking for a new Jazz Bass

Thunderbird

Hi all I am looking for a new Jazz bass I have a maximum budget of £400 I have on my radar the Sire Marcus Miller it ticks all the boxes but do you guys know how heavy they are? I also have the Bass collection Jive bass in my sights are they any good? I dont really want a Squier so any thing else or other brands worth looking at as I really do not know much about Jazz basses. I am using an old Vintage brand Jazz bass right now and like it but want some thing a bit better :)

Cant advise on the Sire Marcus Miller, but if you want another option, I think you should check out the Tribute G&L JB2. I own one. Great bass. ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XG%26L+tribute+JB2+bass.TRS0&_nkw=G%26L+tribute+JB2+bass&_sacat=0

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1486585603' post='3233084']
Hi all I am looking for a new Jazz bass I have a maximum budget of £400 I have on my radar the Sire Marcus Miller it ticks all the boxes but do you guys know how heavy they are? I also have the Bass collection Jive bass in my sights are they any good? I dont really want a Squier so any thing else or other brands worth looking at as I really do not know much about Jazz basses. I am using an old Vintage brand Jazz bass right now and like it but want some thing a bit better :)
[/quote]

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1486585603' post='3233084']
[/quote]

They seem to be between 9 and 10 lbs from the info other people have posted.

I've got a V7. Good sound in both passive and active modes. Skinny frets. I personally prefer jumbos, but no biggy. The neck is great with a gloss finish. I prefer matt, but again that's just personal preference. They are rather on the heavy side. As someone already wrote, 9-10 lbs.

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1486593282' post='3233189']
I've got a V7. Good sound in both passive and active modes. Skinny frets. I personally prefer jumbos, but no biggy. The neck is great with a gloss finish. I prefer matt, but again that's just personal preference. They are rather on the heavy side. As someone already wrote, 9-10 lbs.
[/quote] hmm that is a bit heavy but still tempted

I've had three, two 4s and a 5. The 5s are not light, and I think they tried to adjust the issue a year ago. 4s are fine for weight if you've got a half decent strap. IMHO you won't get a better jaz bass for the money you're looking at spending. The body is very well finished even if the fittings are unremarkable. The genius is in the electronics, offering an ocean of customisable sound.

Edited by lownote12

You say you don't want a Squier, but have you tried the Classic Vibe Jazz?
It is immense! Many who play them prefer them to MIM's or even US jazzes
If you pick one up secondhand, your £400 budget would leave you plenty of cash left over, to spend on beer, or some great pickups

Just cos it says "Squier" on the headstock, don't discount it
I already have 2 Jazzes (a Roadworn and a Flea sig) - otherwise I'd be looking at a CV Squier

EDIT: Don't know if it's still available, but I'd go for this!
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/297714-squier-classic-vibe-jazz-bass/page__p__3232512__hl__squier__fromsearch__1#entry3232512

Edited by Marc S

If you're close to an informed choice between two or three options I would suggest it's vital you try them all rather than theorising. I had almost decided to buy a Squier VM 5 string jazz a while back but some instinct made me go try it first. Glad I did, I hated it - especially when compared to the Sire.

+1 to try before you buy.

I tried 4 fretless Jazz basses out, all Fender. Out of the ones I tried, the Squier was the best value & with a better set of strings, would be a better bass than the MIM Fender. Wasn't as good as the USA one, but it is almost £1k cheaper.

Thanks for the replys guys I have had 2 Squier VMJ basses I was not really to impressed to be honest and moved them on one was to heavy it was just over 11Lbs and the other just did not feel right :( It is quite hard for me to try basses out in the flesh as I live in a little village that is kind of miles and miles from any shops so as I dont drive I do asmuch online research as possible before making a decision. Still like the look of the Sire just worried I might spend all my time knob twiddling lol