Why become a member? ×

Markbass New York 122 bass cab?

Greg.Bassman

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000000][color=#000000]Hi all. Just wondering how the 'Markbass New York 122' bass cab would fare as a standalone?[/color]

[color=#000000]For transportation and health purposes (my back! lol), I was hoping to ditch my 410, in favour of something smaller. Initially, I had entertained the idea of a 210 cab; however, with the lingering doubt of truly being able to hear myself during shows, I decided that a 210 was out of the[/color] [color=#000000]question for live gigging.[/color]

[color=#000000]My attention has since been turned onto the New York 122; players noting it as being both powerful, but also defined in terms of sound AND light.[/color] [color=#000000]Bars to butlins stages, all my shows have PA support, so the 122 will be used solely for[/color] [color=#000000]self-monitoring purposes. I’ll be pairing it with my Little Mark III. I always stand within close proximity of my cab and use the Mark Stand to tilt it slightly up toward me.[/color]

[color=#000000]I have read that that NY122 can get pretty loud for it’s size. It has power handling of 800w RMS, so should be able to accommodate my LMIII (500w)- even the LM800 (should I decide to upgrade in future).[/color]

[color=#000000]Anybody on basschat that can vouch for the NY122? Cheers.[/color][/color][/size][/font]

Edited by Greg.Bassman

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1486631079' post='3233321']
... Super light! Easy to move around.

I'm not sure how the latest models compare.
[/quote]

I musicman20. That's reassuring thank you. I understand that the latest models are not too far off, in terms of weight.

[quote name='mybass' timestamp='1486642275' post='3233454']
The larger 2x10 MarkBass are good stand alone cabs anyway but it looks like the NY 122 'Ninja' cab is 800watts @8 ohms so your (MB) amp could run a second 8ohm cab, while the NY 122 is a 4ohm cab so no more added cabs.
[/quote]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color="#000000"]Hi mybass. The [/color][color="#000000"]‘[/color][color="#000000"]ninja[/color][color="#000000"]’[/color][color="#000000"] cab was certainly of interest; but f[/color][color="#000000"]or cost and transportation purposes, I have no intention of expanding the rig past the one cab[/color][color="#000000"]. S[/color][color="#000000"]o I’m thinking the 4Ohm version would be the appropriate choice here, just so I get the most out of my LMIII. Cheers.[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1486644548' post='3233475']
It's an efficient modern cab (103db/1w/1m) - I don't see how it could not be loud enough with your LM3..
[/quote]

Hi markstuk. Great, that's also reassuring, thank you! I've read stories about players using it for medium sized shows (500 capacity and more), and apparently being very happy (and surprised) with it's performance, for it's size.

Admittedly, I've never used 12's before. Any idea how they compare to 10's? I've read that 10's appear slightly 'scooped' compared to 12's; and 12's being more mids concentrated and capable of better lows- does any of this ring true? (please correct me if I'm wrong).

(In short) I need to make sure that'll it 'cut through' during shows, while retaining some balls lol :)

Edited by Greg.Bassman

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1486660554' post='3233658']
In terms of voicing I'm not sure you can generalise based solely on driver size.. however the fact I replaced two ebs410s with a single 212 should provide some reassurance
[/quote]

Cool, definitely reassuring. Essentially, that is what I'm trying to do (replacing my 410 with a single 212). (Excluding the 'ninja') Markbass only offer this 122 as 4Ohmm; I suppose the implication being that it is fine on its own.

[quote name='Greg.Bassman' timestamp='1486671143' post='3233763']

Cool, definitely reassuring. Essentially, that is what I'm trying to do (replacing my 410 with a single 212). (Excluding the 'ninja') Markbass only offer this 122 as 4Ohmm; I suppose the implication being that it is fine on its own.
[/quote]

And don't forget that 4 ohms also gives you another 3db over an equivalent 8 ohm cab..

I had this exact can you're talking about. It was pretty much all the cab you would ever need. Light, well built. Could handle everything you could throw at it. Stayed very clean and composed at all volumes. Has decent dispersion. Great sensitivity. Highly, highly recommended. The only downside I could mention would be the compression horn made my SUB sound a bit odd when popping or playing aggressively. Not bad, just sort of clanky and flat.

Edited by 40hz

Hi 40hz. Cheers for your response!

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1486719747' post='3234032']
I had this exact can you're talking about. It was pretty much all the cab you would ever need. Light, well built. Could handle everything you could throw at it. Stayed very clean and composed at all volumes. Has decent dispersion. Great sensitivity. Highly, highly recommended.
[/quote]

This is great, very reassuring indeed, cheers!

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1486719747' post='3234032']
The only downside I could mention would be the [b]compression horn [/b]made my SUB sound a bit odd when popping or playing aggressively. Not bad, just sort of clanky and flat.
[/quote]

The official Markbass website are advertising the latest version of the NY122 with a '[b]1" voice coil tweeter'[/b]. Any idea how these compare to the compression horn? Presumably replaced for the better, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered with the change at all, right?

Edited by Greg.Bassman

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1486674233' post='3233802']
And don't forget that 4 ohms also gives you another 3db over an equivalent 8 ohm cab..
[/quote]You have to be careful here. Few (if any) bass reflex designs cab reach 103dB 1W/1M.

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1486753494' post='3234405']
You have to be careful here. Few (if any) bass reflex designs cab reach 103dB 1W/1M.
[/quote]

True, but it's all relative anyway.. It's 3db extra.. Markbass published the number so I assume if it's crap it's relatively the same crap for all of their cabs

Anything to do with the treble in a speaker system is a tweeter, the deep end is a woofer and the middle if you have one is a squawker though only older readers will have heard that one I guess. As you say it is advertising, the compression driver on the horn has a 1" voice coil, I don't suppose it has changed much maybe not at all which means if it was good before it still is and if not..

Anyway it's how it sounds that matters, I'd really strongly recommend you go and try it. 12's and 10's don't really have a sound which won't overlap a lot. It was easier in the olden days when everyone made a 4x10 and a 1x15 and pretty much tried to make them sound fairly similar.

The reason for using 12's is because it is where the sweet spot is nowadays. Amps commonly output 300W into 8 ohms and 500W into 4. Put that much power into a 12" speaker and you'll typically generate just over 120dB which neatly matches a drummer. Most 12's will handle this power fairly well too. Take a second 12 and you'll have enough headroom to just about do everything you need given that at these sound levels you absolutely have to get the sound level on stage lowered and into the PA.

I don't think you need to worry about it not being enough, choose on the basis of how it sounds.

Obviously there are cheap 12's that won't quite work that well but once you are in the mid price bracket you'll hit the sweet spot.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1486757244' post='3234426']
True, but it's all relative anyway.. It's 3db extra.. Markbass published the number so I assume if it's crap it's relatively the same crap for all of their cabs
[/quote]Lets hope so but many manufacturers will use a voltage to measure the on-axis measurement, rather than the standard 1W. If you use the same voltage for 4 & 8 ohms ..voila the 4 ohm cabe is 3dB louder (not).

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1486757612' post='3234430']
Anything to do with the treble in a speaker system is a tweeter, the deep end is a woofer and the middle if you have one is a squawker though only older readers will have heard that one I guess. As you say it is advertising, the compression driver on the horn has a 1" voice coil, I don't suppose it has changed much maybe not at all which means if it was good before it still is and if not..

Anyway it's how it sounds that matters, I'd really strongly recommend you go and try it. 12's and 10's don't really have a sound which won't overlap a lot. It was easier in the olden days when everyone made a 4x10 and a 1x15 and pretty much tried to make them sound fairly similar.

The reason for using 12's is because it is where the sweet spot is nowadays. Amps commonly output 300W into 8 ohms and 500W into 4. Put that much power into a 12" speaker and you'll typically generate just over 120dB which neatly matches a drummer. Most 12's will handle this power fairly well too. Take a second 12 and you'll have enough headroom to just about do everything you need given that at these sound levels you absolutely have to get the sound level on stage lowered and into the PA.

I don't think you need to worry about it not being enough, choose on the basis of how it sounds.

Obviously there are cheap 12's that won't quite work that well but once you are in the mid price bracket you'll hit the sweet spot.
[/quote][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000][color="#000000"]Hi Phil starr. Cheers for your response. That[/color][color="#000000"]’s[/color][color="#000000"] great, very helpful mate, thank you. [/color][/color][/font][/size]

Edited by Greg.Bassman

Hi all.

UPDATE: Ok so, having furthered my research, it would appear that 212’s are more popular than I thought; players noting them for being loud, yet defined across the board (low/mid/high) AND light- in some cases, preferring them over 410’s!

I have also discovered that jazz bassist Richard Bona, used to favour the NY122 before MB built him the ‘ninja’ equivalent. You can find videos where he is sporting the little mark head (either LMIII or 800) and 212 cab as a standalone- so this is definitely reassuring.

Edited by Greg.Bassman

I use two of the NY121s with an LM3 which I guess must be pretty similar to the 4 ohm NY122 set up? I get a cracking sound out of this set up with more than enough headroom to compete against loud drummer/guitar. I thought about going the 122 route but decided the separates gave me a bit more flexibility, that said I rarely use a single cab except at the odd rehearsal

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1487014031' post='3236283']
I use two of the NY121s with an LM3 which I guess must be pretty similar to the 4 ohm NY122 set up? I get a cracking sound out of this set up with more than enough headroom to compete against loud drummer/guitar. I thought about going the 122 route but decided the separates gave me a bit more flexibility, that said I rarely use a single cab except at the odd rehearsal
[/quote]

And I think a 2x12 cab sounds better than 2 1x12 cabs.. That was certainly the case when I compared 2 BF compacts against a BF S12T..Bigger, more open sounding..

I had a ny122, that is the best cab Markbass make IMO. It's really balanced, it's a really small 2x12" but it's a full sounding cab and I don't mean full like their 4x10 that tend to be really muddy, it has good bass, superb mids and it has a much better tweeter than the 4x10. Doesn't have strange voicing in the upper mids like the 102p. I would define it like full, clean, defined and warm at the same time. Volume wise, I used it with a GR700+, an italian made head with the usual 700 watts power module (a very clean and transparent amp) and with a SD1200, really good results with either heads, I think it's difficult to have volume problems with this cab, expecially if you drive it with the right watts. I now use a 2x12 from GRBass but the 122 was really impressive considering its performance and footprint.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#000000]Hi everyone. Some great feedback here, thank you![/color]

[color=#000000]I’m thinking of upgrading to the LM800, just for a little more headroom. It has a power handling of 800w RMS, will this work ok with the NY122?[/color]

[color=#000000]I have seen a few players on youtube using the LM800/NY122 setup (including jazz heavyweight Richard Bona himself). But I wanted to swing it past everyone here on basschat first?[/color][/size][/font]

Edited by Greg.Bassman