Why become a member? ×

Unwanted high whistling tone through audio interface.

NancyJohnson

I've just purchased a new PC (HP Pavilion); software installation and dejunking all smooth but for my PreSonus Audiobox USB which handles all my audio, be it to powered monitors or cans.

I'm getting a tone pitched at a high B (7th fret on an .009 string) through my monitors that is unaffected by the main volume control on the AI.

It's not line interference or a ground loop hum; the tone was initially constant but following ongoing advice from PreSonus it niw only returns for a couple of seconds before audio starts when I playback through my DAW or Winamp and lingers for a few seconds after playback stops. Also, if I'm scrolling through Facebook and there's a posted video, the tone starts up until I've scrolled past the content.

It's very weird.

Drivers are all up to date and configuration of the device is nor significantly different to that of my old PC (given the new computer has USB 2.0 and 3.0 socketry).

So I thought I'd just put it out there. See if anyone here can shed any light on things.

Cheers

Have you optimised your PC for audio?
[url="https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10"]https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10[/url]
Are there any USB driver problems? Or perhaps a Presonus error? (Check via device manager, USB or sound or sound video, game controllers - there'll be a yellow exclamation mark)
It could also be something like an input/output sample rate mismatch...
Is the BIOS/chipset etc running the latest update?
Or perhaps it's power saving that's causing the problem. Make sure it's not set to go to sleep, that the USB isn't set to turn off to save power, that USB selective suspend isn't on and that processor max/min power are both set to 100%.
And finally, try a new USB cable!

I have HP and PreSonus looking at things. PC was fresh out of the box last week.

It's a bit frustrating and I don't seem to be alone with this problem...quite a few people have experienced high frequency noise. I'm logging everything on tickets with both companies, so hopefully I'll find out what's going on soon enough.

I had this with my Audiobox but it stopped when I ran my laptop off the battery. I can't remember what the interface was but I had another interface which you could power either via USB or with a PSU. When you used USB you got a horrible high pitched whining, when you powered it off a PSU you didn't