Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot GP150 Amp query

dmccombe7

I have a 2nd hand TE amp that seems to suffering volume and tone loss during 3 hour rehearsal. It seems to come and go.
From an almost flat sound with a touch of low mid boost and the contour shape smiley face button selected. Gain at 12 and master around 10. It has a nice full sound that drops out to quite a nasal sounding mid tone and the volume drops enough so that Master is adjusted up to approx 12 to be heard. Rest of band are not changing volumes or tone. Will then return to previous setting on its own and comes thundering thru the mix like a train.
I've tried different cabs ie 2x10 TE cab and Peavey 4x12 but appears to be the amp.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem. ?

Dave

an ultra Spinal Tap moment a TE amp that goes to 12!, I presume you're talking 10 o clock and 12 o clock here, I've got 2 Trace amps and use another at the rehearsal room and never had this problem but I do tend to have the gain high (passive P bass), full on at rehearsals, might be worth a try

Yep meant 10 and 12 o'clock :lol:
I've googled and found the effects return socket can cause loss of signal. I've cleaned the connections and tried it and sounds better in house.
Will try next week at rehearsal.
I've also found that the tone change might be down to rehearsal room floor. Its wooden upstairs and i have a sneaky suspicion the guitarist was moving across next to my cab when tone changed. ?? Might be grasping at straws here but gonna try my Gramma Pad at rehearsals and take another amp to do some tests.

Might be a combination of the bad connection and room conditions.
More testing required.

PS I'm not a fan of TE gear for some reason. It always sounds quite clean and modern to me without that warm depth i lie from my Ampeg.

Dave

never used an Ampeg TBH, wouldn't have thought Trace's could be described as modern and clean though, certainly not compared to class D amps anyway, but if the Ampeg is a valve amp it's not really a fair comparison, not sure which Trace you've got the GP is the preamp and the number of EQ sliders usually follows that (GP7, GP12 etc) the 150 is normally the power amp rating and has AH before it, as I said before try the gain at full that might distort the sound, does on mine. As for the send and return I never use them, can't see the point just use my FX pedal in line with my Bass lead

My Ampeg is a tube pre-amp but i also have GK1001RBii and Markbass rig.
Its a TE GP7 SM 150 but its an old one and the cab is a very very old one.
I think the tone thing is sorted now as i've tried it with gramma board and its a lot more stable tone and now has a bit more depth.
I do remember that guitarist sat on the edge of the cab at one point and it changed the tone so it may have been the floor that was causing tonal issues.
Have tried combinations of amps to cabs to amps and have tweaked the EQ on the TE amp to sound more like my Markbass rig.
That may have been the prob. With PJ bass i found i had to cut the Mid frequencies a bit and boost the bass a touch. I had been using the contour buttons as well and think i was bosting mids on graphic but cutting with contour buttons.
Someone had mentioned to me in an earlier post to leave the contour buttons and work of the graphic and that has given me a fuller sound thru the 2x10 cab.
Hopefully it will sound better next weeks rehearsal.
Failing that it will be binned and something more up to date used as a rehearsal amp. Maybe an Orange 15" with Terror head if i can find one. :lol:

Thanks for replies Paul. Gonna try the Gain up higher too and see how it all sounds.
cheers
Dave