Why become a member? ×

FRFR choice?

Bridgehouse

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1486651787' post='3233547']
Whats your budget?

Any decent PA speaker will likely do you better than the majority of those marketed as FRFR cabs.
[/quote]

Nothing specific - will pay what is required to get it right. Don't want to end up buying multiple times and learning the hard/expensive way

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1486651787' post='3233547']
Whats your budget?

Any decent PA speaker will likely do you better than the majority of those marketed as FRFR cabs.
[/quote]

Not all PA Speaker go low enough Hz do they?

Edited by Wooks79

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1486664506' post='3233708']
Big Baby 2 goes down to 33 Hz, is cheaper, and 26lbs in weight, but I guess then you would have a poweramp to find (and carry separate)
[/quote]

And for me that sort of defeats the purpose - if it's separate then I'd have to be careful over poweranp choice and all that.. and it's more to lug around and....

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1486664506' post='3233708']Big Baby 2 goes down to 33 Hz, is cheaper, and 26lbs in weight, but I guess then you would have a poweramp to find (and carry separate)[/quote]

The FR800 is an active version of the BB2. The usable frequency range is the same for both - the difference in the specs is that for the FR800 we've quoted frequency response within 3dB limits, not usable frequency range (which is wider).

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1486717781' post='3234009']
The FR800 is an active version of the BB2. The usable frequency range is the same for both - the difference in the specs is that for the FR800 we've quoted frequency response within 3dB limits, not usable frequency range (which is wider).
[/quote]

Thus my previous "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fr800 goes to 42 Hz (-3db)." :) Although my low B fundamental is about 32 Hz.. [/font][/color]

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1486721279' post='3234042']
Thus my previous "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fr800 goes to 42 Hz (-3db)." :)[/font][/color]
[/quote]

True - but it also goes lower... but with more than a -3dB roll off. I'm not sure you want to be going as low as 42 Hz.. your sound is going to be pretty swampy on stage.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1486721592' post='3234044']
True - but it also goes lower... but with more than a -3dB roll off. I'm not sure you want to be going as low as 42 Hz.. your sound is going to be pretty swampy on stage.
[/quote]

You'll get no argument from me on that.... I have a thumpinator :)

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1486721681' post='3234045']
You'll get no argument from me on that.... I have a thumpinator :)
[/quote]
Interesting that the roll off is apparently at 30hz on the thumpinator - still lower than most bass cabs can reliably reproduce at any noticeable volume. It will get the fundamental of a B string through - which to be honest, is probably not wanted on most stages anyway. Keep the sub frequencies for the PA - and even then, a lot of smaller venues won't thank for you subs that low. In fact, you got to be running some pretty decent subs to get anywhere near 30hz at -3db at any decent SPL anyway.

The real chest thumping stuff is circa 65Hz - the resonant frequency of your rib cage... so you know where to peak your kick drum's eq...