Why become a member? ×

SPAMP - a meaty practice amp with distortion & fuzz

Rikki_Sixx

My other half spotted this earlier and it really caught my eye: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/477969731/the-spamp-guitar-practice-amplifier-and

It's probably because I'm a greedy swine, but it also reminds me of an Smokey Amp (I think that's the name - it's a tiny practise amp built into n old cigarette pack) that I bought at a guitar show in London years ago. While the Smokey had no controls at all (it was either on or off, with full distortion at all times), this one seems to have a bit more finesse, especially for a meat-based product!

I've no idea if these even work with bass, but I think I'd love to give one a spin. My Smokey used to emit howls of pain when I plugged in my old P bass, and I haven't tried it since I sold my SG years ago. Anyone seen or used anything similar to this?

[attachment=237829:spamp.jpg]

[attachment=237828:spamp2.jpg]

[quote name='ricksterphil' timestamp='1487336572' post='3239085']
Just bought one.....couldn't help it
[/quote]

I bought one too! Had a few emails back & forth with Spamp Man himself and he ran a few tests for me. I have to admit I didn't understand the results, but so far I love it!

Around the lower notes on the E string I think it hits a bit of a limit but otherwise it's brilliant. Great for practising in the spare room without waking the neighbours! Sounds great clean and the fuzz is fantastic. I'll put together something more in depth when I've used it a bit more.

Edit: Found the Smokey Amp I mentioned in my original post too, so my mate at work put that through it's paces for a bit as well.

Edited by Rikki_Sixx

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...