Why become a member? ×

Which online retailer?

fftc

Looking at a potential purchase that isn't available in any shops nearby, so it's an online purchase.

These four shops are all about the same price, but I think I've heard horror stories about all of them. We all know what the internet is like though, so simple question. Which one would you choose? Feel free to add comment as well. ;)

So same as the poll, the options are DV247, GAK, Gear4Music and Bax-shop.

It might be worth checking Thomann as their prices fluctuate quite a lot, pretty much on a daily basis, depending on the exchange rate. On big ticket items that can actually translate into quite significant variations.

Of the shops you've listed I've only used Bax.

Bought some Aquilar jazz pickups from there early last year, about £30 cheaper than I could find them anywhere else, everything went completely smoothly.

Though posting pickups from the continent is obviously a bit simpler than sending a bass or amp.

Edited by Cato

I have ordered through all of those, and wouldn't have an issue doing it again. If I had to pick one of those to order directly from and all things were identical, same price, same delivery time etc, I may just go for Gear4Music, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't be just as likely to pick another one on a different day.

[quote name='fftc' timestamp='1486662681' post='3233687']
I've only listed the shops that have the item I want at a 'competitive' price. So Andertons and whatever the biggest one is don't count for this one. ;)
[/quote]

So this isn't something to provide useful thoughts and information to us all? It's just for you?

Ok, nothing to see here then.

I've probably ordered from them all with no problems to be an adult and make a choice.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1486710084' post='3233954']

So this isn't something to provide useful thoughts and information to us all? It's just for you?

I've probably ordered from them all with no problems to be an adult and make a choice.
[/quote]

Wrong side of the bed this morning?

Gear4music for me as they're just down the road so I can pick up the item!

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1486710084' post='3233954']

[/quote]

I posted a comment along similar lines but deleted it as too contentious (my comment was more so). The OP needs to be clear what he's asking in his opening post. Gear 4 Music have always been great. I've not used Bax or DV247. GAK have lukewarm and inconsistent customer service imo.

I thought I had made the initial post fairly clear as I asked about 4 specific stores based on price and availability.

And most requests for advice are usually about information useful to the person who is asking for the advice. :unsure:

Maybe that's not the Basschat way!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

[quote name='fftc' timestamp='1486714558' post='3233985']
I thought I had made the initial post fairly clear as I asked about 4 specific stores based on price and availability.

And most requests for advice are usually about information useful to the person who is asking for the advice. :unsure:

Maybe that's not the Basschat way!

Thanks for the warm welcome.
[/quote]

Seriously, welcome :) I don't think you'd been quite so clear about why other retailers weren't to be considered but, hey ho.

Edited by GreeneKing

DV247. Ordered my most recent Bass from them and a salesperson, Patrice, was an absolute wonder! He was happy to send me pictures of the Bass (as it was b-stock), even chucked in a gig bag and it was packaged really well. Paid via phone which was perfect, all arrived safe and sound, he then followed up by ringing me after I'd had the bass for 2 days to see how it was.

DV247 were great with me when I ordered a pedal that didn't work, they replaced it immediately, and when that didn't work I go a refund. Really good service and friendly on the phone.

Have bought various bits from Gear4, an acoustic guitar a few years back and recently a bass case. I used them because while they were same price as some others they are Yorkshire based and that swung it for me.

Recently used Andertons for the first time and found them excellent, best price and great service when I phoned realising I hadn't added some essentials to my order.

I've always foud DV247 to be more like a shop. Call them, get advice, order online. My preferece however is always to go to a proper shop. The price of an item might be cheaper online, but we'll all be sorry when there is only an online option.