Why become a member? ×

Sellotape Marks

gypsyjazzer

I have a guitar which has had a pickup secured by sellotape. The sellotape has been removed and has left sticky marks. Any suggestions on what to use to remove those marks without ruining the finish? See pic. ([attachment=237865:P1010914.JPG]Marks on right near 'F' hole & underneath the bridge.)

[quote name='gypsyjazzer' timestamp='1486724153' post='3234079']
I have a guitar which has had a pickup secured by sellotape. The sellotape has been removed and has left sticky marks. Any suggestions on what to use to remove those marks without ruining the finish? See pic. ([attachment=237865:P1010914.JPG]Marks on right near 'F' hole & underneath the bridge.)
[/quote]

I'll probably get told off by the people who know the proper method for this but I'd maybe just get a tiny bit of solvent cleaner onto a bit of kitchen roll, the slightest bit shouldn't damaged the finish...

I've also got a bottle of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mykal-Sticky-Stuff-Remover-250ml/dp/B000TAT4GM - it does appear to do what it says on the proverbial tin.. I have surgical tape on my left thumb which leaves sticky residue behind.. A touch of this with a microfibre cloth and it's gone..

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/shampoo-polish-wax/autoglym-intensive-tar-remover-325ml

I have always used this to remove glue residue on my poly finished guitars, I have never used it on a Nitrocellulose finish, if you were going to do that I would recommend trying it on a tiny unnoticeable area first

[quote name='Manton Customs' timestamp='1486762155' post='3234482']
Lighter fluid is the best for this task as it'll leave next to no residue behind and will not harm the finish. Other products can make any future refinish work very difficult.
[/quote]

+1 again