Why become a member? ×

Question about veneer tops for the experts

Ghost_Bass

Do any of you know of any mother-of-pearl veneers that can be put on a bass/guitar body, just like those beautifull coffee table wood tops i've seen on the build diaries by Andyjr?

This idea came from seeing the new Sire models to be released:

Seeing this jazz i thought to my self: "Man, this bass with a white mother of pearl body and matching headstock would be beautifull and would match the drum kit perfectly :P"

So, do you recon there's a way to do it? A lined wood veneer? A plastic layer? Printed vinyl with laquer coat? I've already a white suit and hat on order and starting to grow the moustache ;)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1486743826' post='3234322']
Like this?

[/quote]

I would love that. Not totally sure about the spark plug but I could live with it.

I have seen a white mother of pearl guitar once, Can't remember where.

Oh I remember - it was one of Kim Webbers (RIP) ones.

http://www.sonicstate.com/amped/2012/02/09/unique-gibson-les-paul-with-mother-of-pearl-finish/

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1486740049' post='3234285']
Do any of you know of any mother-of-pearl veneers that can be put on a bass/guitar body, just like those beautifull coffee table wood tops i've seen on the build diaries by Andyjr?

This idea came from seeing the new Sire models to be released:

Seeing this jazz i thought to my self: "Man, this bass with a white mother of pearl body and matching headstock would be beautiful and would match the drum kit perfectly :P"

So, do you recon there's a way to do it? A lined wood veneer? A plastic layer? Printed vinyl with lacquer coat? I've already a white suit and hat on order and starting to grow the moustache ;)
[/quote]

Hey GB, Nice bass that. The veneer is Quilted Maple. A nice one does really look great. I have a Warwick like that, but mine's solid maple.

There's no reason why you can't do that with veneer though.

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1486742536' post='3234303']
Can't provide advice but where did you see that bass? I don't need a Jazz but now I WANT one
[/quote]

It's on Sire's FB page. I think it's debuting after NAMM or something.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1486743826' post='3234322']
Like this?

[/quote]

Looks great, yep i think it may be something like that but without the tile vibe. Think of drum kits, they're made of wood but have a mother of pearl layer on the outside, is that plastic glued on top? Where can one find it?

Can you imagine a bass with this finish??? :gas:

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1486748842' post='3234364']
Hey GB, Nice bass that. The veneer is Quilted Maple. A nice one does really look great. I have a Warwick like that, but mine's solid maple.

There's no reason why you can't do that with veneer though.
[/quote]

Hey Grangur, it really looks like a nice bass but i think you've missed the OP a bit ;) Cheers

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1486752168' post='3234394']
Looks great, yep i think it may be something like that but without the tile vibe. Think of drum kits, they're made of wood but have a mother of pearl layer on the outside, is that plastic glued on top? Where can one find it?
[/quote]

I think the guitar needs to be tiled, because it's an arch top. The drum shells only bend in one direction so it's a bit easier to do with a single piece.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1486759424' post='3234459']
Gretch guitars always had that sparkle stuff, and it is the same material as their drums are covered in.

[url="http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/build/solid-body/g6129t-59-vintage-select-59-silver-jet-with-bigsby-tv-jones-silver-sparkle"]http://www.gretschgu...-silver-sparkle[/url]
[/quote]

That looks like metal-flake paint rather than MoP.

If you can find a source of the celluloid that accordion makers use, that would almost certainly do the job. It can be formed over curves too, but as far as I can gather it's a nasty process as the celluloid itself is very flammable, and then it's soaked in large quantities of acetone to apply it. I wouldn't fancy that as a DIY project!