Why become a member? ×

FENDER mustang 'PJ' short scale bass?

Greg.Bassman

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color="#000000"]Hi all. Looking into the latest 2016 Fender [/color][color="#000000"]Mustan[/color][color="#000000"]g [/color][color="#000000"]‘PJ’[/color][color="#000000"] Bass (short scale).[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color="#000000"]It’s nut width is unclear though; Fenders official website describing it as a 1.50” (38.1 mm), yet, most retailers seem to have it advertised as a [/color][color="#000000"]1.65[/color][color="#000000"]”[/color][color="#000000"] (42 mm)[/color][color="#000000"]. [/color][/font][/size][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color="#000000"]Anybody here on basschat that owns one (or played one), that can confirm it’s nut width?[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color="#000000"]Cheers.[/color][/font][/size]

I've owned two! I can't remember the actual width, but it was pretty slim at the nut. I sent the first back due to a faulty pickup switch. The second arrived with exactly the same problem, so gave up after that! The shop offered to fix the second one, but I'd kind of lost faith in them by that point.
Nice bass otherwise, not quite as open a sound as my P-bass, but i guess thats the short scale at work. The short scale was both lovely and weird to play - loved how fast it could feel, but when playing with the band I found myself really having to focus on the fretboard to make sure i hit the right notes. Sure it wouldn't take long to adjust though.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1486753446' post='3234403']
I saw a Janek Gwizdala vlog the other day where he had just bought one and he described it as slim iirc.
[/quote]

Hi MBA. Thanks for your response. Lol, yes, I have seen that particular vlog aswell. Maybe I'll re-watch it, perhaps I missed something.

[quote name='stega' timestamp='1486757443' post='3234427']
I've owned two! I can't remember the actual width, but it was pretty slim at the nut. I sent the first back due to a faulty pickup switch. The second arrived with exactly the same problem, so gave up after that! The shop offered to fix the second one, but I'd kind of lost faith in them by that point.
Nice bass otherwise, not quite as open a sound as my P-bass, but i guess thats the short scale at work. The short scale was both lovely and weird to play - loved how fast it could feel, but when playing with the band I found myself really having to focus on the fretboard to make sure i hit the right notes. Sure it wouldn't take long to adjust though.
[/quote]

Hi stega. That's great, cheers! Thanks for the heads-up on the pickup switch; I shall be extra vigilante in future (if I eventually decide to buy).

[quote name='stega' timestamp='1486757443' post='3234427']
The short scale was both lovely and weird to play - loved how fast it could feel, but when playing with the band I found myself really having to focus on the fretboard to make sure i hit the right notes. Sure it wouldn't take long to adjust though.
[/quote]

Lol, yes, this seems to be the general consensus among players who have tried it. Like you say, will take some adjusting :)

Edited by Greg.Bassman

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1486834378' post='3234910']
The Mustang isn't unique with the pickup switch issue. The Yamaha BB2024 I sold to Chris (Beedster) had a duff switch and I tried one in a shop recently and that was the same, and that's a £2k+ bass. Easily sorted though.

Peter
[/quote]

Hi Greeneking. I see, cheers for sharing, that's definitely a consolation :)

Edited by Greg.Bassman

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1486832582' post='3234897']
I tried 2 of these in San Francisco and they both had crackling switches. Definately put me off buying one.
[/quote] Yes, mine has this as well, it crackles a little bit when you switch pickups, is a feature of the Mustang PJ bass rather than the bass being faulty (seems every Mustang PJ has this issue) , I may get a new switch fitted eventually but other than the small amount of crackle when I switch pickups there is no issue with the switch so it is not a priority to get this swapped out at the moment, I may have them wire it P/PJ/PJ in Series rather than P/PJ/J when I eventually get this done

I tried one of these a couple of months ago in Dawsons. It's a really nice bass and I still intend to buy one!

Due to my small mitts I always go for slim necks but with this being a short scale it just doesn't matter - to me at least. I ended up with a short scale bass that was 40mm across the nut (Maruszczyk) - wider than my preference on a full length, but really makes no difference on a short scale at all, with your hand being closer to your body. Hope this helps!

Edited by burno70