Why become a member? ×

Precision. To sell or refinish?

itsmedunc

I have a really nice Squier SQ Series precision in 3 Tone sunburst. It's a great bass. Well used but not abused. I really love the sound and the feel of it but to be honest but it's now a bit heavy for the old back (about 9 1/2 LB as I recall) and the board is rosewood. I've grown to prefer maple, I like the brightness of maple and also I can still see what I'm doing in bad light! I also have a big soft spot for Oly white. I use it as a spare even though it's more than good enough for a first choice.

My problem is - do I sell and get something that would suit? Or, do I refinish it and keep it as it's serving as a spare at the moment? I can't change the board or weight but can change the colour.

If I kept it, I wouldn't care if I did a half decent DIY job. Cost would be about £50 and some elbow grease. Or, do I sell and get something that fits the bill properly but might not be as nice?

The Matt Freeman P fits the bill, although I can't get a realistic figure of the weight? If anybody knows please enlighten me.

It's a real brain teaser to me... Help! I'm confused...

Edited by itsmedunc

I know the feeling well.

The simple fact is, for you, it's too heavy. It never is going to be the one you're going to eagerly grab as you go out to a gig.

If you're looking to cut your teeth on doing refins, then you can find a cheaper bass to do it with, and it could be lighter in weight - so might fit the bill better.

If you're experienced at fettling on a bass, then you won't be challenged by this. It's never going to be the No.1 in your collection. I say sell it.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1486758399' post='3234446']
I know the feeling well.

The simple fact is, for you, it's too heavy. It never is going to be the one you're going to eagerly grab as you go out to a gig.

If you're looking to cut your teeth on doing refins, then you can find a cheaper bass to do it with, and it could be lighter in weight - so might fit the bill better.

If you're experienced at fettling on a bass, then you won't be challenged by this. It's never going to be the No.1 in your collection. I say sell it.
[/quote]

A much appreciated reply! I could do half decent at home as said or have a pro do it (well I mean a mate of mine who is a pro sprayer). As you say it won't solve all the issues though? Still too heavy and the board issue too...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1486759370' post='3234458']
Sell it. Someone else would love an original sunburst one with a rosewood board. I had a Matt Freeman and it was very lightweight, but like any bass they vary!
[/quote]

I suppose, another problem is that the market is a bit knackered and getting as good a quality bass as this one for the money it would fetch would be optimistic...

My bathroom scales tell me that my Matt Freeman weighs about 9lb. I'm surprised because it feels quite light to me. I guess my other P must be even heavier. Either way, it's an absurdly awesome bass. I'd read/heard all the praise out there and was still blown away when I finally got my hands on one. I paid £200 - you really can't go wrong!

Dunc, I can highly recommend the Squier Mike Dirnt basses, you can pick them up for less than £200.00 in decent condition, they are nice and light, mine plays fantastic, I have replaced the electric with a Seymour Duncan and CTS pots and I have refinished twice so far, once in Shell Pink and now in a TV Yellow colour similar to the Telecaster colour.

It was a cheap bass so I don't mind modding it and I actually gig it more than any of the other Precisions because it is light and great to play, if you are ever down my neck of the woods you are welcome to come and try mine and I guarantee you will be seriously impressed!

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1486808789' post='3234654']
Dunc, I can highly recommend the Squier Mike Dirnt basses, you can pick them up for less than £200.00 in decent condition, they are nice and light, mine plays fantastic, I have replaced the electric with a Seymour Duncan and CTS pots and I have refinished twice so far, once in Shell Pink and now in a TV Yellow colour similar to the Telecaster colour.

It was a cheap bass so I don't mind modding it and I actually gig it more than any of the other Precisions because it is light and great to play, if you are ever down my neck of the woods you are welcome to come and try mine and I guarantee you will be seriously impressed!
[/quote]

Thanks for that Roger! I'll certainly bear that in mind. I wouldn't mind a cheap giggable bass that I could use in the shadier venues we play!

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1486842345' post='3234994']
If you get your hands on a Matt Freeman bass you won't regret.I re moded mine with Spb4 then Spb1.
Eventually I reverted back to stock pups.
[/quote]

Thanks for the endorsement. Its now up for sale or trade. The Freeman sounds ideal to me...

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1486843314' post='3235009']

Thanks for the endorsement. Its now up for sale or trade. The Freeman sounds ideal to me...
[/quote]
Initially I was looking for another MF bass forca project but too goid to ruin. Are you selling your bass here?